What are the iPhone Pros & Cons vs. Windows Phone?

GadgetTron

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
iPhone Pros & Cons vs. Windows Phone

Hey guys!

First post on iMore.

I currently have Windows Phone and am due for an upgrade. I'm considering a new iPhone 6 because Microsoft appears to be in a transition period with their hardware division until Windows 10 is released.

I realize that I may get some bias on here since this is an apple dominated forum, but what do you like about iPhone and what do you wish you could change?

I'm with Verizon and my choices are a iPhone 6 or Lumia ICON. I am not willing to go Android at all. Thanks in advanced!

GadgetTron

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: iPhone Pros & Cons vs. Windows Phone

I'm being open minded in my research process. However, posting a link to a biased article does not answer any real world, user experience questions that I had.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm not a big fan of the icon. It's a sad attempt at Verizon trying to get a flagship windows phone but failed.

If I were you and you really wanted to go with windows, I'd recommend a Nokia Lumia 1020 unlocked. I loved the Lumia 1020. Amazing camera and great phone factor. Perfect screen size.

Of course I'm an apple fanboy so I have the 6 plus but during the 5S and 6 cycles I briefly used a 1020 and loved it. Like you I dislike android, but if you're choices are between iPhone 6 or icon id go iPhone 6.

GadgetTron

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Dennisgarcia! What about the ICON was/ is a failure? I'm not sure that the 1020 will work with VZW's LTE networks. I looked into unlocked phones and found that most of them won't support Verizon 4G.

Again, thanks for your input!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm being open minded in my research process. However, posting a link to a biased article does not answer any real world, user experience questions that I had.

And you're on an Apple-centric forum. You really didn't see that coming? SMH

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It boils down to what "you"want in a smartphone, and once you figure that out, decide which platform provides you with what you want and need in a smartphone, whether it's iOS or Windows mobile. I recommend you go to the nearest Apple Store, Best Buy or wireless carrier and handle the iPhone 6. Don't even consider apps. Just focus on the device in its native state. You can always find apps you may need. Afterwards, make your decision and then enjoy whichever device you choose.

GadgetTron

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site

And you're on an Apple-centric forum. You really didn't see that coming? SMH

Did you even read the original post? Specifically where I said this:
"I realize that I may get some bias on here since this is an apple dominated forum, but what do you like about iPhone and what do you wish you could change?"

SMH at you sir.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

I realize that I may get some bias on here since this is an apple dominated forum, but what do you like about iPhone and what do you wish you could change?

I like the simplicity, ease of use and consistency of iOS. I'd like more interaction between apps.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site

As someone who just switched, I miss the following:

1.Word Flow Keyboard: iOS keyboard is inferior.
2.iOS restricts ringtones to only 30sec length and must be m4r format: This is a real pain if you make your own.
3.iTunes requirement: iPhone is the only phone left in universe that you can't freely drag/drop and browse storage.

Am I sorry for switching? No.

1. Much better camera: For all Nokia's banter about the 920 camera, it just blows compared to iPhone 6's.
2. Much better GPS
3. Better battery life
4. Much better web Browser
5. Much better app selection
6. Much better accessory support/availability
7. Much better support. Apple store nearby if ever needed.
8. Apple tells carriers when updates are coming, not the other way around.
9. You still have access to Microsoft Services.

Once you get used to the way things work in iOS, you'll be happy. Just get a durable case, cause the phone isn't going to take alot of abuse, IMO. Way too thin!

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I've got a Lumia 1520 and an iPhone 6.

Straight up - my iPhone 6 is my Beloved. Nothing beats it.

That said, I LOVE my Lumia 1520.

From using both phones, I find that the iPhone is simply more polished - smoother, less hang. I do love the hardware on the Lumia, since the back seems to be sturdier and less prone to tiny scratches that show more easily on the aluminum of the iPhone 6, but this is easily resolved by the use of a case.

What clinches it for me is the much lauded ecosystem. I find more ease transitioning from Safari on the laptop to my iPad to my iPhone to mail to messaging than I do moving around from IE 11 to Outlook 2013 to my Lumia, for example. The fluidity of the experience isn't there. The app situation is not as grim as others make it out to be, but there is just simply no comparison with availability of apps in iOS. For example, I use Bank of America. It is my understanding that BofA won't support Windows phones in the future. That's a bad thing for me.

Finally, as I mentioned before, there is less polish to the Windows experience. I believe the OS is developing and growing and I'm excited to see where Windows 10 goes. But, if I HAD to choose ONE phone, as much as I enjoy using my Lumia, I would never leave the iPhone 6 for it.

Both are great phones. The iPhone wins out for me simply because of the impeccable attention to detail that Apple puts in their products.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Windows phone does not have the apps I want... But I love the core functionality of it anyways.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Consider that any forthcoming apps will be made for iOS first, along with android, and maybe never for Windows phone. The app situation for Windows phone is just comparatively bleak IME. You may be able to mitigate this by using web browsers but IME that doesn't work so well.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys!

First post on iMore.

I currently have Windows Phone and am due for an upgrade. I'm considering a new iPhone 6 because Microsoft appears to be in a transition period with their hardware division until Windows 10 is released.

I'm with Verizon and my choices are a iPhone 6 or Lumia ICON. I am not willing to go Android at all. Thanks in advanced!

Welcome to iMore. I would suggest you try Windows Central if you want to get bias from Windows phone fans.

I am not sure what you're looking for in your device but I understand your question. My suggestion, is don't compare phone specs, operating systems, etc.. Make your choice based on which device best meets what you want from a phone. I use, and will continue to use, an iPhone because of the availability of apps, integration with my AppleTV, MacBook, and iPad. Many of my adult children and grandchildren have iDevices and we take advantage of iMessage and FaceTime. I'm not telling you all of this because to sell you on the iPhone over Windows. I'm pointing out the reasons my iPhone is the best device for me. You need to make a list of reasons of which device works best for you and enjoy using it after you purchase it.

Originalloverman

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

Some of you guys should really be ashamed of yourselves. Here is a new person 1 st post on here trying to get some idea of what he should get and look at you guys so quick to jump down his throat just because he mention another platform and jump to conclusions without even reading properly what his question was. Welcome to Imore I can very much sympathies with you on this. Personally I'm the least of all to answer you has I hate the iPhone 6 and my only venture on a lumina is when I visit my grandmother she uses it windows os is my least favourite phone os ironic given windows my favourite computer os.

Nokia how ever was my favourite phone until my 1 st bb in 07 which is my main phone os. Funny enough I picked up one of my old Nokias today and made me smile was tempted to fire it up at least for a day, it was the 6700.

As far as I know windows platform have far less apps than blackberry does a huge gap which is odd given how much money and how big Microsoft is and they are running or going to be able to run android apps as well, not sure the advancement though but know it's behind that of blackberry and the os is kind of laggy where as iOS is more fluid and way more apps/ ecosystem.

At the end of the day it's all up to you and your preference and what you are willing to sacrifice as every os have there pros and cons

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
What are the iPhone Pros & Cons vs. Windows Phone?

Some of you guys should really be ashamed of yourselves. Here is a new person 1 st post on here trying to get some idea of what he should get and look at you guys so quick to jump down his throat just because he mention another platform and jump to conclusions without even reading properly what his question was. Welcome to Imore I can very much sympathies with you on this. Personally I'm the least of all to answer you has I hate the iPhone 6 and my only venture on a lumina is when I visit my grandmother she uses it windows os is my least favourite phone os ironic given windows my favourite computer os.

Nokia how ever was my favourite phone until my 1 st bb in 07 which is my main phone os. Funny enough I picked up one of my old Nokias today and made me smile was tempted to fire it up at least for a day, it was the 6700.

As far as I know windows platform have far less apps than blackberry does a huge gap which is odd given how much money and how big Microsoft is and they are running or going to be able to run android apps as well, not sure the advancement though but know it's behind that of blackberry and the os is kind of laggy where as iOS is more fluid and way more apps/ ecosystem.

At the end of the day it's all up to you and your preference and what you are willing to sacrifice as every os have there pros and cons

Hold it there. Go to Crackberry and mention Apple. The rabid fanbois work themselves into a lather. Actually more like the Walking Dead considering how BlackBerry has flatlined. So before you go casting aspersions here go clean up your own mess.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general-blackberry-discussion-f2/im-tired-my-blackberry-995163/

As far as apps, I found instagram, Geico, my banks, my fitness pal, the DC transit app, ALL native in my Lumia.

NOT on BlackBerry. Unless you're talking about pooching Android apps through a well known hacking app or get old half working or non working apps in the Amazon appstore. My apps on my Lumia are native and I've got what I need.

Including the one Chen went boohooing to Congress about.

6131c194d5c0869b28cafe419d87842b.png

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site

Consider that any forthcoming apps will be made for iOS first, along with android, and maybe never for Windows phone. The app situation for Windows phone is just comparatively bleak IME. You may be able to mitigate this by using web browsers but IME that doesn't work so well.

This. This is the MAIN reason I switched to iOS. The quality of apps on Windows Phone is pathetic.

Its really simple. Do you care more for the apps or the usage of the phone OS?

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

This. This is the MAIN reason I switched to iOS. The quality of apps on Windows Phone is pathetic.

Its really simple. Do you care more for the apps or the usage of the phone OS?

To me they all have something nice to offer but I prefer android the most. That said, using my 6+ exclusively a few times a week is such a treat. iOS and her apps have always had this nice polish about it that can be quite refreshing.

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site

Yes, Android is great as well. Particularly, if you want to customize your OS. Though I do love the app quality on iOS.

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: What are the iPhone Pros & Cons vs. Windows Phone?

Oh and one more thing, I would like to add that is a big reason to consider iOS: iPad apps.

From my experience, I have found that there is no eco-system that provides high quality apps in not just phones but for tablets too. And the universal apps are truly universal on iOS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711