I have parallels and a portion of my Mac pro (Yosemite) hard drive is dedicated to a pc function with related programs. Will this also be backed up on the time machine so it can be restored?I want to delete the pc portion for now to make room for other stuff. Also, my Mac pro is loaded for its time but it is getting old and something could happen. I want to be able to put the things I have on both the Mac and PC sides of my computer on a new Mac should that happen. All the programs were loaded at Apple when I bought it but I believe I still have the old keys. Other programs were added and all have been updated.
    02-01-2015 05:20 PM
    If Windows is in a Bootcamp partition, Time machine will not back it up.
    If Windows is just in a Parallels VM, Time Machine may or may not back it up. Lots of times VMs are flagged to not be backed up. You should be able to check the Time Machine exclusions to see if this is the case. You could also just open Time Machine and see if the VM files are there.
    In addition to TM, I'd recommend investing in a bootable backup--either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper are the usually recommended ones. That way if your Mac's hard drive failed, you could boot off the external drive with the bootable backup.
    02-01-2015 05:33 PM