What if any major issues or gaps will I discover. For example I understand I would not have full access to my iTunes account, the iPad user experience is different and a bit limiting relative to the laptop experience. This is a bit troublesome but not a deal breaker. Are there other things like this I need to consider?
    01-31-2015 08:16 AM
    It depends on your needs. Will typing on a virtual keyboard be sufficient, especially for long documents? Will you need a printer and does the iPad support the printer you're using? Are the documents, music, photos or video you access are accessible via a cloud service or are they primarily on a hard drive?
    01-31-2015 08:28 AM
    Yes I have considered all that you mention, I am aware of physical differences in processing speeds, screen displays etc. I air print, have cloud storage etc. What I am trying to fully understand is what limitations will I discover after the transition, things that are not so apparent like the use of itunes?
    01-31-2015 08:47 AM
    What are the primary things you do on a laptop?
    Do you have music in iTunes or movies, etc that were not purchased via iTunes that you currently sync to an iPad?
    01-31-2015 08:51 AM
    Yes I have content in iTunes not purchased through the store. Going forward I am ok to abandon that practice and only purchase through iTunes. Actually I hardly use the laptop at all for anything other than basic functions. My wife uses it for writing but that can easily be done on the iPad with a keyboard.
    01-31-2015 08:56 AM
    With non iTunes purchased content, you'll no longer be able to get it onto the iPad. So even if you put it in the iPad before getting rid of the laptop, if you ever need to replace or restore the iPad, you won't be able to get the music back on the iPad. But you could uploaded as it to a cloud music service like iTunes Match, Amazon Music, Google Music, etc before getting rid of the laptop. The only downside for Google Music or Amazon Music is that you would no longer be able to go to the Music app on the iPad for this music, you would have to go to the app for that music service. The cloud music services also have charges associated with hem. iTunes Match is $25/year, I don't know what the others cost.
    01-31-2015 09:24 AM
    iPad does not have very good data management when used as a solo device. To be honest, if you plan to go this route I would recommend either a Windows tablet or Android tablet. Both Windows and Android have far superior data management options including true file manager support.

Tablets are not very good for multitasking but as single task devices they are fine and can be used for productivity quite well. There are plenty of great office suites for iOS, including iWorks. If you combine it with a keyboard case (I use a ZaggKeys Cover) you still end up with that laptop form factor for doing work. The main issue I've found is that they keyboard is a bit cramped but I tend to be able to adjust to it quickly if I've been using my laptops or full sized keyboard a lot recently.

I highly recommend you begin using a Cloud Storage service (Google Drive or something else) as it will give you more flexibility with documents you generate. An easy way to get around the data management issues you encounter will be to retain a cheap Windows laptop (an old one you might have lying around or something like the HP Stream) and keep iTunes installed on it. You'll only need to power it up when you want to move data around or reorganize it.
    01-31-2015 09:49 AM
    Another option to consider is the Surface Microsoft Surface Tablets - The Windows Tablet That Does More

It has the flexibility and smaller form factor available with tablets, but has the ability to function like a laptop if needed. I believe its possible to install iTunes and you could copy over your non-iTunes content.

If I were faced with the decision to go tablet or desktop/laptop only, I'd go for a Surface type option.
    01-31-2015 09:58 AM
    Thanks everyone, some good recommendations here. I really appreciate it.
    01-31-2015 10:24 AM