My aunt had a popup come up on her computer about some virus her computer had and that she needed to call some 1-800 number. The second she told me I knew it was a scam, but she had already called by the time she called me. I did a little reading up on the subject and see that this is an ongoing issue, but my question is... could her computer still be at risk? She called the number, granted remote access to the guy on the phone and he ran some commands (not sure what exactly he did here). Do any of you know if there could be any lingering effects? Could he have "planted" anything on her computer? I'm trying to make sure he is not able to pull anything off her Mac without permission.

I have a lot of experience with Windows, but not very much with Mac.
    01-22-2015 05:36 PM
    I would wipe and restore the computer. Its not worth the chance.
    01-22-2015 05:39 PM
    My aunt had a popup come up on her computer about some virus her computer had and that she needed to call some 1-800 number. The second she told me I knew it was a scam, but she had already called by the time she called me. I did a little reading up on the subject and see that this is an ongoing issue, but my question is... could her computer still be at risk? She called the number, granted remote access to the guy on the phone and he ran some commands (not sure what exactly he did here). Do any of you know if there could be any lingering effects? Could he have "planted" anything on her computer? I'm trying to make sure he is not able to pull anything off her Mac without permission.

I have a lot of experience with Windows, but not very much with Mac.
    Have her go into her System Preferences > iCloud and sign out of her computer. Download a free Mac virus scanner such as ClamXav from the Mac App Store and scan her drive.

Not saying that anything might have been installed but I would only wipe and restore as a last option. Also... DEFINITELY give Apple a call... first because maybe they can remote access your machine and be better at knowing what to look for.
    01-22-2015 05:52 PM