The relationships in contacts only has three options: spouse, manager and assistant as options, how do I add another relationship?

I

iMore Question

The "relationships" in contacts only has three options: spouse, manager and assistant as options.

How do I add other relationships such as daughter?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: The "relationships" in contacts only has three options: spouse, manager and assistant as options

You have to go to said contact, tap 'edit' scroll down to the relationship section and tap edit 'edit related name'

Jesse Ohlsson

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: The "relationships" in contacts only has three options: spouse, manager and assistant as options

Useless reply.

He gets three choices: manager, spouse, assistant.

Where are the rest of them? Where is the place where I can add a custom relationship?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Useless reply.

Where are the rest of them? Where is the place where I can add a custom relationship?

No it's not. You don't investigate it.
1. Tap edit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440263724.462319.jpg

2. Tap a label.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440263756.328337.jpg

3. Tap a new label or add a new one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440263792.960927.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Useless reply.

Not useless at all... it is exactly as stated in Post #2

Edit your own contact card in the address book... scroll down as in post #2... add your family members as desired to your contact card...

raphida3

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site

I'm having the same issue. #2/5 & #4 are missing the issue in different ways...

#2/#5: when selecting "add related name", and then tap on the default label ("manager") to change it, only "manager", "spouse" and "assistant" are shown as options. No other options, nor "Add Custom Label". See first three screenshots.

#4: He probably did investigate, and found this thread, like me. What you are suggesting is simply adding another number to a contact... That's just not what we want to do.

From one contact we want to refer to another, different, contact. So a referral to all information of the (spouse|daughter|whatever) and not just their phone number. This is normally done via "add related name" when editing the contact.

For instance: I may not remember the name of someone's spouse, but I still want to be able to look up her/his (birthday|address|whatever) without calling them.

But still, even if I wanted to only add the number to a contact: your suggestion doesn't work for me. And I think it's related: If I edit a contact's number as you suggest, there is no option "Add Custom Label" here either. See the other screenshots ("radio" is the last option, can't scroll down).

So what isn't working is (creating|displaying) any custom label... I believe that in my case it's because my contacts are synchronised with Exchange.

While trying some things I noticed that, when I create a new contact, and then -before saving it- attempt to change the label for either a number or a "related name", the "Add Custom Label" *is* there. However, as soon as I save the contact the custom labels are reset to the default for the field. Then, when editing it again, the option for a custom label is no longer present as with all other saved contacts.

Exchange probably doesn't support custom labels. It makes sense that if you sync your contacts with something that doesn't support them iOS would turn that functionality off. So this may affect different sync options (Google? surely not iCloud...). I don't know though since I only ever use Exchange.

There might be an option to create custom labels on the server end of whatever you synchronise contacts with, so you can then use them on the iPhone. I'm checking that out later.

Those that have this issue: are you synchronising your contacts? If so, with what?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 477
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 510
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 574
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 512

RosebuddyMark

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
raphida3 is bang on. Exactly the issue I'm having too.

I concur that it is an Exchange issue. There are some contacts in my phone that are not syncing to Exchange, and I have access to all the other related names for them.

What I don't know is how I created those contacts without syncing them. For the handful of people I want to use the relate names, I'm comfortable having two different contacts for them (one iPhone, one Outlook).

But I've tried creating them as just an iPhone contact (by turning off all syncing with groups), but I still get the three options. Any thoughts?

I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I suspect the answer to my question can provide a workaround for the actual problem.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Mine seems to be working fine. Have you tired resetting your device?

8ec5069d460bc6a8022a6da60cc4ba04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raphida3

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
RosebuddyMark: Do you use iCloud? And do you also get the option for a custom label the first time you create a contact?

I'd be interested to know if there's a difference in this quirk between an Exchange and iPhone contact.

Or, how would I go about creating a contact on the local iPhone? I only ever had occasion to use Exchange and I don't remember an option to choose which account a new contact goes into... Or is it something like temporarily setting the default storage?

Last edited:

RosebuddyMark

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
nikkisharif: A reboot or reset makes no difference. But time may, see below.

raphida3:

I don't use iCloud, so I can't help there.

To create an iPhone-only contact, go into Contacts, click Groups, then turn off everything that is not iPhone.

I've done some more testing on this and I think this now works:

1. Create an iPhone-only contact by first turning off Outlook (as above). Enter ONLY the name, then close it.
2. Open and press edit, then add whatever information you want including the related name.
3. Turn back on the groups. The contact now has the related name associated with it.

Problem: To have this contact now available in Outlook, you have to create a second name which now becomes linked within the iPhone.

I think the trick is about closing out of the contact before adding the related name, as it initially defaults to just the three options.

I suspect it has to do only when Outlook/Exchange is being used. That's why the others on this thread were thinking the problem was simpler than it was.

Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods