Why am I not receiving sound with incoming text messages?

melissa6869

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much! I was wondering why I did not get my daughter's alert when she text me. She had the moon by her. I have no idea how this got turned on!

DDV901

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately, this solution did not work. None of my messages had a moon, nor was do not disturb turned on in the details of the message. Any other possible solutions out there? Also, my phone is not on silent, not on do not disturb, it doesn't help if I turn off vibrate. Text alert is the only notification effected. It vibrates and there is sound, but the sound is so faint that I only hear it if I'm holding it. This all started a few weeks ago when I got the iwatch and synced it to my phone. My ipad wasn't effected, it alerts me loud and clear to text messages, but it isn't synced with the watch, that's why I'm thinking the watch has something to do with it. Phone call ring is fine and it is synced with the watch. Please help!

Gregie-GIRL

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Taurus-Writer! I've been looking for this answer for days and you were the only one to tell me how to fix it. You're the best!

Reblev

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
OMG! THANK YOU! U R a genius at sleuthing! This was driving my husband...and therefore me....crazy! Much appreciated 😊

junouno

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Your suggestion as far as notification setting was dead on. Several people who are good with phones could not solve the problem as well as me myself. Thank you so much!

sjenkins93

May 11, 2016
Visit site
This has been driving me nuts for 2 or 3 months! I was just about to take my iPhone back to factory settings right before I found your solution! I had done the very same thing on the 3 contacts that I communicate with the most!!! Now to remember this solution in case I do it again! Thank you so very much!

mastercoder48

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I spent weeks trying to solve this issue and I checked my Do Not Disturb settings countless times...however, look in your list of Messages...does any Message have the MOON next to that Contact? Click on that Message, click on Details, and you will see that you have Do Not Disturb on for THAT specific Contact. I had somehow turned it on for 3 of the contacts that I message the most often. (No idea how it happened) whew!
. I tried this but I didn't have any one particular contact on do not disturb. BUT I did notice a crescent moon on the top of my screen next to the little blue tooth icon. So I pulled up that bottom screen where you go to access the flashlight and sure enough my do not disturb was on for my phone. I must have some how tapped that at some point. With do not disturb on for your phone you won't hear a text message alert while the screen is locked. Just thought I would share because this had made me nuts for months. I hope it helps someone else.

mastercoder48

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Check your over all do not disturb for your phone. It's located on the bottom of your cell phone where you would go to use the flash light. I wasn't getting any text notifications when my screen was off. I tried everything. Then I saw this tiny crescent moon next to the Bluetooth icon on the top right of my screen. Sure enough I had somehow at some time turned it on.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
84fc82ed31a4eacc8a27f0c4507d550c.jpg

Rivergal628

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Just an FYI, Another option! I am occasionally using a Bluetooth small speaker with the phone. I thought I had turned it off, but apparently it was still picking up my phone waves. Turned it off completely and Voila! It worked! I am now able to hear my text coming in.

pentexx

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Oh my God, it has been MONTHS since anyone could help....both Verizon and Apple store checked the overall DND and mute and all that jazz. The Home-Power idea was tried at Apple...but they were busy and when it didn't work, they said to try it outa at home, wrote instrutions down...I did that many times and it never worked and I had sadly felt that I damaged the sound card and I would forever be checking the screen to see if it sounded. I REALLY need to know when an incoming text sounds as my daughter is in the USMC and has been in a few places around the country. I just decided let one more board cause we had a rough night with me sleeping and unable to hear the nonexistent sounds of her texts...:( I tried EVERTYHING one more town and decided to try and boom you saved us! Somehow, I hit the wrong thing and hit the DND option for only HER and she is the person I talk to mostly by far. Other people send me messages through Facebook or e-mail or just call me on the archaic house phone.

It's basically like the Cell was for my daughter and me only (Batman-ish lol) and the most simple thing had to be done so THANK YOU, this a gem of knowledge!

Beth Robinson

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm with you. I'm on second iPhone and it's still happening. After a hard reset it will work for about 3 texts, but then nothing. I truly need text alerts so this is really annoying. My. iPad gets them but I don't feel like carrying it around. I too have an Apple Watch and as I think on it, this all started happening about the same time I got it. I'm going to impair my watch, do a hard reset on my phone and then see if the text alerts come back.

joelongtin

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Taurus Writer! I had that crescent moon on my two most often texted friends. I opened their text messages, clicked on the 'I" (info icon) and that brought me to a page that showed that somehow the "hide alerts" button had been activating for those two friends. Once I turned that button off, I started getting alerts when they sent me text messages. Hoorah!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73