Is it normal to take up 400MB of iPhone storage space for photos even though I have iCloud Photo Library?

I

iMore Question

Is it normal to take up 400MB of iPhone storage space for photos even though I have iCloud Photo Library?

I don't know if maybe I've done something wrong with my photos, but is it normal that even though I am storing all my photos in the iCloud Photo Library... that the pictures that are there are still taking up 400MB of my actual iPhone phone storage? To me, the cloud means I get to upload my pictures so that they are safely backed up but also so that I can free up space on my iPhone, but if only 292 pictures takes up 400MB of phone storage, than that's really defeating the purpose. I'd rather just use Dropbox which doesn't take up any space whatsoever and still allows me to view them on my phone. Do you know if maybe I've made a mistake? I have iCloud Photo Library enabled, optimization turned on and Photo Stream is off. This is on the 6 Plus with the newest OS. I know that when you select optimization is says a very small file will remain on the phone, but doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of cloud storage? And really, 400MB for just 292 small pics that are relatively low resolution is quite a lot!

I've looked on the Apple Support website, but no one else has asked this question apparently...

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73