I'm still fairly new to iOS since I got an iPad a few days ago. Is it recommended to close apps on iOS 8? I have 44 app cards showing when i double press the home button.
    12-15-2014 02:53 AM
    I usually close mine when I'm finished. I have an iPad Air 2, I get 10+ hours of use that way. When I leave them open I seem to get around 8 hrs.
    Aiden Howlett likes this.
    12-15-2014 03:10 AM
    I would imagine only one or two of those 44 you see are actually running in the background. Stop me if I am wrong, but doesn't iOS forbid apps running in the background unless they are of a specific type?
    Aiden Howlett and GSM-S like this.
    12-15-2014 07:37 AM
    I would imagine only one or two of those 44 you see are actually running in the background. Stop me if I am wrong, but doesn't iOS forbid apps running in the background unless they are of a specific type?
    Correct. It's better to think of those app cards as a recently used list rather than a list of running apps. The only apps that run in the background are audio, VoIP, navigation and I think apps can request about 10 minutes after you open another app to finish up what they are doing (like uploading photos to Dropbox).
    cwbcpa, Aiden Howlett and GSM-S like this.
    12-15-2014 08:07 AM
    This is kind of a double-edged sword. Basically, the open apps that you are seeing are stored in the system memory, even though they are not being used. Certain apps, I will always manually close out, like GPS apps (Waze and Google Maps) - just because I don't want them to access GPS/Battery drain anytime they want. However, in general, it's best to just leave them there (open) as in reality, it's more of a battery drain to close them out every time and then load the app again, because every time you close the app and go back into it, iOS has to put that app back in memory, in turn causing more battery drain. As a general rule of thumb, Apple has designed iOS and App Management to take care of itself and be as low maintenance as possible. After all, we are the user, not the janitor. :-)

As for me personally, about once a week, I will go in and close out ALL open apps and power cycle the phone. Just for phone health and maintenance.
    Aiden Howlett and GSM-S like this.
    12-15-2014 09:42 AM
    I never close out apps in the App switcher, unless there's an issue if some kind that closing the app is the only way to fix it. Most are not running anyway. iOS does a good job of managing RAM.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    mumfoau and GSM-S like this.
    12-15-2014 10:14 AM
    I usually close mine when I'm finished. I have an iPad Air 2, I get 10+ hours of use that way. When I leave them open I seem to get around 8 hrs.
    You get better battery life if you leave them be. It takes more battery to open them back up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    GSM-S likes this.
    12-15-2014 10:18 AM
    I was just so used to android. My battery issue was my LTE connection being on with poor connection.
    12-15-2014 07:51 PM
    iOS dynamically quits apps as it needs memory to start up new ones, so don't worry about quitting apps unless they're special ones given permission to run in the background providing you some service, such as background music, or some specialty app you've given such permission, as a weather program.

Go into Settings/Specific App Name and check each app you've installed on your iPhone to see which are authorized Background App Refresh to decide if you really want them polling the Internet in the background. Or, alternatively you can go directly to Settings/General/Background App Refresh to see which apps are switched on for background updating.

However, unless you're noticing a substantial battery hit, I wouldn't worry about it. You can go to Settings/General/Usage/Battery Usage to see exactly how much of your current battery cycle has been consumed with a particular app.
    12-15-2014 09:29 PM
    Most apps are put into a sleep state when it loses focus - some may have a background task running but the OS will only give it a very tiny amount of CPU time anyway. So you really don't have 44 apps running at the same time. In fact, when memory is low, they are killed off altogether but are still kept in the list of apps when you double click the home button. Only they reload from disk again when they are reactivated instead of just reappearing immediately as if they are still in memory.
    12-16-2014 04:32 AM
    I don't close out my apps from the app switcher; unless I have so many open that I can't quickly find an app I need to use.
    12-16-2014 10:34 PM
    I've got very few apps refreshing in the background. Basically messaging, mail, FB, Twitter, news apps, weather, BBM, and WhatsApp. I never close out apps because I know it's more of a recently used kind of thing.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    12-17-2014 06:15 AM
    I have always shut off background app refresh for some reason
    12-17-2014 06:49 AM
    There was an article a while back on Gizmodo on this. If you turn off App Backgrounding do not force close the apps. Apple puts them into a deep sleep after a while. If you force close them and reopen the app it will use more energy than just leaving open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-17-2014 07:25 PM
    I only turn on whatsapp. The rest i leave it off
    01-23-2015 09:51 AM