Can I switch carriers with an iPhone?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
My son and daughter-in-law have 5c iPhones with Sprint. When their agreement expires in a year, what are their options if the want to keep their phones and change carriers? For instance, I know Boost Mobile operates on the Sprint network. Can they take their Sprint iPhones and move to Boost Mobile?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sprint to Boost... Maybe... Just have them work with Sprint after their contracts have been fulfilled to get the GSM side of the devices completely unlocked, and they'll be able to have more options for networks to switch to... But know this: Switching to Verizon with their current devices is NOT...repeat NOT an option as Verizon will not activate devices OEMed for anyone other than Verizon.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Sprint to Boost... Maybe... Just have them work with Sprint after their contracts have been fulfilled to get the GSM side of the devices completely unlocked, and they'll be able to have more options for networks to switch to... But know this: Switching to Verizon with their current devices is NOT...repeat NOT an option as Verizon will not activate devices OEMed for anyone other than Verizon.

Thank you for answering. Another question, what does "completely unlock" the devices mean?

dcharleyultra

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for answering. Another question, what does "completely unlock" the devices mean?

It means unlocked for both domestic and international GSM carriers.

When my Sprint contract was over, Sprint told me they unlocked my iPhone, but only for intentional, and they didn't guarantee it.

I'm now with Verizon, using a different phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
It means unlocked for both domestic and international GSM carriers.

When my Sprint contract was over, Sprint told me they unlocked my iPhone, but only for intentional, and they didn't guarantee it.

I'm now with Verizon, using a different phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would there be another way to unlock the phone other than using Sprint?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There are 3rd party unlock services out there... some legit, some not - so beware... your son/d-i-l may be better off buying devices that are known to work on the network they end up switching to and selling the Sprint ones to recoup their cost of getting the "new" devices...

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
There are 3rd party unlock services out there... some legit, some not - so beware... your son/d-i-l may be better off buying devices that are known to work on the network they end up switching to and selling the Sprint ones to recoup their cost of getting the "new" devices...

After doing some research and reading the posts here, this is what I'm going to have them do.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711