How can I send texts to non-iMessage numbers on a MacBook Air?

I

iMore Question

Sending texts to non-iMessage numbers on a MacBook Air

A few months ago I read an article or highlights about ios8 allowing users to send text messages using the iMessage program on a MacBook. What are the steps I need to take to accomplish this?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sending texts to non-iMessage numbers on a MacBook Air

"To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch
Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
On your iPhone:
Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature."

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

A few months ago I read an article or highlights about ios8 allowing users to send text messages using the iMessage program on a MacBook. What are the steps I need to take to accomplish this?

To enable "Text Message Forwarding", both (all) devices must be signed into the same iCloud account and connected to the same WiFi network. You set the SMS Message Forwarding from your iPhone:

1. Make sure both (all) devices are signed into the same iCloud account
2. Make sure both (all) devices are on the same WiFi network
3. Make sure both (all) devices have the iCloud account checked (active) in the Send & Receive setting
4. Go to Settings > Messages
5. Tap Text Message Forwarding
6. Turn on forwarding for the computers/tablets that you want to use
7. Each computer/tablet will get a popup with a 6 digit code
8. Enter that code on your iPhone to activate the Text Message Forwarding on that computer/tablet

bmartin3191

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

Thank you! I have not upgraded to Yosemite on my MB Air because of all the negative reviews. What is your experience with Yosemite? I primarily use the Air for business; emails, PDFs, DropBox, iMessage and some other minor things.

bmartin3191

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

When I go to Messages, I don't have an option for Text Message Forwarding. I have:
iMessage
Send Read Receipts
Send as SMS
Send & Receive ( I have both my phone and email address checked)
MMS Messaging
Group Messaging
Show Subject Field
Character count
Blocked
Message history
Audio messages
Video Messages

I have iOS8.1.1 on my new iPhone 6 with Verizon. Is Verizon the issue?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I guessing if your Mac is not on Yosemite or there is not another iOS device like a iPad on iOS and 8.1 the text forward option will not appear.

As far as Yosemite. I've used it on a 2007 iMac with no issues after doing a clean install.
I'm currently using it on a 2014 MacBook Air. I haven't experienced any of the issues that have been reported.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm using Yosemite on a 2014 MBA without any issues.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I guessing if your Mac is not on Yosemite or there is not another iOS device like a iPad on iOS and 8.1 the text forward option will not appear.

As far as Yosemite. I've used it on a 2007 iMac with no issues after doing a clean install.
I'm currently using it on a 2014 MacBook Air. I haven't experienced any of the issues that have been reported.

Yes, you must be running Yosemite (10.10) or higher on your Mac and iOS 8.1 or higher on your iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2