Why am I experiencing huge battery drain when idle?

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, so I recently joined the iDevices family (came from a Xperia Z1 Compact!) and found that my iPhone 5S has a HUUUGE problem of draining more than half the juice overnight.
I charge it fully (100%) and I turn on airplane mode (so essentially Bluetooth, wifi and mobile is off)
And I wake up with only 40%!
I've read like everywhere else that iPhones have a good idle battery life and being an owner of a 4S, 4 and 3GS in the past, I fully agree. But this 5S is the only exception. I'm running iOS 8.1, if that's of any help.

Checking the battery usage section is of no help, it doesn't really show anything useful (shows apps I've used BEFORE I went to sleep: WhatsApp, Home and Lock Screen, Safari). As such, I've been having a horrible battery life that can hardly last me a day.

The only apps I have for ON background refresh is Google, Hangouts, Spotify, Weather and WhatsApp.

Any help? :( thanks! :)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Huge battery drain when idle

If I were you, I'd make an appointment at the Apple Store. Seems like you may have gotten a lemon, especially since it's draining while in airplane mode.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I bought my 5S after 8.1 was launcher and I updated before downloading apps and etc so it's a clean install (technically?)

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I bought it second hand (but the seller says it's a refurb set so I expect the battery would be pretty new) and out of warranty. Would Apple charge me?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I bought it second hand (but the seller says it's a refurb set so I expect the battery would be pretty new) and out of warranty. Would Apple charge me?

Depends when the person bought it- if it's still within the year or they purchased AppleCare then yeah otherwise there would be a cost

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

How's your location settings?

My 5s has experienced poor battery life running iOS 8.1 as well but I don't get any real draining while it idols. If it's a refub your battery should be a new replacement

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

How's your location settings?

My 5s has experienced poor battery life running iOS 8.1 as well but I don't get any real draining while it idols. If it's a refub your battery should be a new replacement

I got in contact with Apple Chat, and they ran a diagnostic, and suggested that I do a restore. I did, but it still drained from 97% - 45%!
Safari and Hangouts used the most battery (how is it possible! I'm on Airplane mode).

Sigh.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Well, seems like I have isolated the issue (or so I hope!)

Hangouts is draining battery big time on iOS 7/8 and Google is doing nothing to solve it. At this point, anyone else knows of other 3rd party apps that can connect to hangouts?

Also, Safari's iCloud Sync is draining battery. Since I don't have a Mac, I'll be turning that off.

iMoreAppImg_20141109_113004.jpg

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

Usually restoring your phone like new will fix battery problems. The only problem is you lose your data and you have to go through the headache of reorganizing your apps. If you jailbreak your phone here is a solution to restore as new but keep your apps and springboard layout.

You need to be jailbroken for this to work.

Transfer all your apps to iTunes so you can get them back.

Backup the following file using iFile in the following directory: private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard
IconState.plist

Backup this file to dropbox using iFile.

Restore iPhone as new. Sync apps back using iTunes. Re-jailbreak phone. Install iFile.

To restore springboard organization, rename the backed up file IconState.plist to DesiredIconState.plist and then copy to private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard. Overwrite the existing file if necessary. Respring and springboard layout should be restored. Now all you have to do is go through the tedious process of logging into apps and setting the phone back up the way you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice