Rene was explaining on a recent Macbreak weekly why Apple Making a standalone 5K display that could be run from a current mac pro was not feasible based on current technology. I didn't fully understand. If my Mac Pro is never going to be able to drive a future Apple display, then I'm leaning heavily towards buy a new 5K iMac. I would just like to have it explained so I can make an informed decision.

I would like to have a detailed explanation of the Thunderbolt technologies and how they relate to driving external 4K or 5K displays.

I have a loaded current model Mac Pro and the Sharp 4K display that Apple sells online. Honestly I'm not sure if I'm actually getting 4K or not.

I'm seriously considering buying the new 5K iMac (I saw one and my jaw dropped, absolutely gorgeous)

If a future Apple standalone display cannot be driven by my Mac Pro then I would seriously lean towards getting the iMac.

THANK YOU!
    10-27-2014 12:08 PM
    Thunderbolt 2 does not have enough throughput to drive a 5K display. For 4K, I thought you actually needed to use 2 Thunderbolt 2 ports to properly drive 4K which is why you can only connect 3 4K displays to a Mac Pro whereas you can connect up to 6 Thunderbolt displays to the Mac Pro.
    So unless Apple comes up with some sort of software drivers that can use more than 2 thunderbolt ports to drive 1 display, the Mac Pro is not going to be able to drive a future standalone 5K display. The reason that the iMac can support 5K is that it is not going thru a thunderbolt port.
    But depending on your workflow, you may want to reconsider dumping the mac pro for an iMac. If you need massively parallel processing, the Mac Pro is still going to kick the imac's ****.
    10-27-2014 01:49 PM
    Thank You! Very Tough Call!

So where does HDMI fit into the equation? Would it be better to drive the Sharp 4K Display from the Mac Pro via HDMI instead of Thunderbolt to Displayport? I'm just really unsure of whether or not I'm getting try 4K performance from my current Mac Pro / Sharp Display setup. Whereas with the iMac 5K I would KNOW for sure that I'm getting max display performance.

Thanks!
    10-28-2014 08:19 AM
    The mac pro can drive 4K from either the hdmi port or the display ports. So that shouldn't matter. I don't know how to tell you for sure whether you are getting 4K or not. Check you display preferences, I guess.
    10-28-2014 09:22 AM
    Thunderbolt 3, which will drive 5K external displays using a single cable, won't ship until sometime next year (as part of Intel's Skylake rollout — the generation after the upcoming Broadwell).

So, Apple can't make any Macs with Thunderbolt 3 ports until some time next year.

Hope this helps!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-28-2014 10:52 AM