Apple ID, iCloud

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
So I have an Apple ID that I've used for years. The problem is that my iCloud is not the same as my Apple ID. So here are my questions:

1. If I make my Apple ID the same as my iCloud , will I lose all my apps? Like updates etc without signing out then back in?
2. How do I use some of the new features in Yosemite like voice and text if my Apple ID is different from my iCloud?

Thanks for the help.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So I have an Apple ID that I've used for years. The problem is that my iCloud is not the same as my Apple ID. So here are my questions:

1. If I make my Apple ID the same as my iCloud , will I lose all my apps? Like updates etc without signing out then back in?
2. How do I use some of the new features in Yosemite like voice and text if my Apple ID is different from my iCloud?

Thanks for the help.

First of all, having separate email addresses for your iTunes AppleID and for iCloud is not a problem (that's how I do it, as well).

You can change the email address for your iTunes AppleID WITHOUT creating a new AppleID. Creating a new AppleID won’t cause you to lose your purchases. However, there is no way to combine/merge the two. You will always need to log in with the AppleID that was used to purchase the apps in order to reinstall or upgrade.

To change the email address:
  1. Launch iTunes.
  2. Go to Store > View Account.
  3. Log into your account.
  4. On the AppleID Summary page, click the [EDIT] link to the right of your email address.
  5. Change the email address to what you want to use, and save it.
  6. Click [DONE] on the Store page to exit and return to iTunes.
To use the iMessages and FaceTime handoff/continuity in Yosemite, just use the same AppleID (either iTunes OR iCloud) on all devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac).

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Ok I think I figured it out. I was able to log out of my FaceTime account on my Mac then log back in with the correct id. It works now. Thanks!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok I think I figured it out. I was able to log out of my FaceTime account on my Mac then log back in with the correct id. It works now. Thanks!

Awesome. The key is that the AppleID that you use must match between devices. You can use separate AppleIDs for FaceTime and iMessage, but whatever you use for FaceTime must be the same on all devices on which you want to share access. Same for iMessage.

Glad you got it working.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods