Hello.

I'm kind of like the tech guy in our family and my mum uses a 3GS and is about to get my girlfriends 4S in a couple of days. She doesn't use a laptop and doesn't do much but receiving photos of her grandkids, sending whatsapp and iMessage. When she sees one of our iPads, she kind of wants one too to browse the web here and there and just have a larger display.

Since she doesn't do much data wise, I figured if it wouldn't be smart to get rid of her landline/DSL completely and just hook her up with a cellular ipad with 1-3GB of data per month. Cheaper, convenient and sufficient - my guess.

The cell download limit in iOS is 100mb, right?
    She couldn't make iOS updates on her own since wifi is needed, right?
    Could she do iCloud backups on 3G/LTE? Maybe the incremental ones where only some data is added?

Am I not seeing something important here? Thanks guys!
    10-17-2014 02:00 AM
    iCloud backups require wifi.
    10-17-2014 08:11 AM
    Yeah, I figured that.
    Is that the only glitch?
    Maybe a photo backup within iCloud Photo Library or onedrive would be enough. The latter would work with cellular right?
    10-17-2014 04:35 PM
    Yeah, I figured that.
    Is that the only glitch?
    Maybe a photo backup within iCloud Photo Library or onedrive would be enough. The latter would work with cellular right?
    I don't know.
    10-17-2014 05:06 PM
    Not sure about the DSL speeds available for your landline. Thought the site below from AT&T would be helpful to show how various DSL speed options impact upload/download times for some common usage types.

To get a sense for the bandwidth your mom has now, you could try Ookla Speedtest (assumes you have WiFi network that connects to the internet via the DSL modem/line). It may turn out that for her needs, DSL is perfectly fine. That way you wouldn't have to get an LTE plan for an iPad or the 4S. Now if your DSL provider imposes some type of bandwidth usage limits per month, that may end up being a wash with the DSL + WiFi option.

If it were me, I'd stick with a landline just for security/reliability sake. That way if the iPhone battery were to go out or the phone have issues, she'd still have a way to contact people.

Another option to iOS updates could be to go to a local coffee house, restaurant, or public place that has free WiFi. Assumes that those places don't have policies in place to limit download sizes or cutoff downloads after a certain bandwidth has been used on a per device connection basis.

DSL & Broadband Internet Service Providers - AT&T
    10-17-2014 07:47 PM
    I think she has a 6mbit or maybe 16mbit down. But her local network has some issues, I don't know how to fix. That means that she currently has no reliable connection either. She doesn't really love nearby so it's not easy to fix over the phone. She wouldn't have a clue what I would be talking about in the first place. I'm glad that she can handle the three apps she has installed right now
    So the cellular ipad maybe would be a more reliable connection than what she has now. Speed and data limits shouldn't be a problem, she does pretty basic stuff and wouldn't feel a difference, LTE would sure be overkill as well when she has fast 3G available.

So the only problem would be iCloud backups... On the other hand she doesn't do those right now either because her home network isn't connecting to the web and she had to disable wifi on her iPhone either way.

Might have to think this through a little more.
    10-18-2014 05:55 AM
    Thank you for your kind help!
    10-18-2014 05:55 AM