Which would you prefer, a Mac or PC, and why?

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually this topic was about preference until you came in here acting like a typical PC elitist. Everyone here was stating reasons why they PREFER one platform over another, not about which is better and not about trying to convert other people to use their preferred platform.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
To all that are providing answers like this, you are doing a great job at debating why you prefer Mac to PC. So far only one of you have provided any substance to the debate that this thread should have. Not only that, but people have flat out insulted me, denied posts which I have provided facts for. While that is your choice (as well as using Apple is your choice!!!), you certainly don't do a good job at representing the brand that you are so loyal to. It's interesting to see to be honest. I would also like to thank you all for your entertainment on this otherwise boring afternoon of code writing.

If you had bothered to read the posts in this thread, you would have seen that many (most) of us have already posted why we prefer Mac/OS X over the Windows platform. But instead, you came in here trying to convert us all.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
If you had bothered to read the posts in this thread, you would have seen that many (most) of us have already posted why we prefer Mac/OS X over the Windows platform. But instead, you came in here trying to convert us all.

Even the people who did say they prefer Windows over OSX did so in a respectful manner. But there's always gonna be that ONE person trying to shove specs down our throats, convince us that we have no knowledge about computer's and just be overall condescending to us.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, nothing Apple produce comes close to the sheer power of my Windows 7 PC. I use it for compiling, video and music editing, gaming and lots of other graphics intensive stuff. It's water cooled and has a set of pretty bleeding edge graphics cards, as well as a top Intel processor, huge RAM and over twenty four terabytes of storage.

The whole thing set me back just over 10,000 GBP (about 16,000 USD) and nothing Apple can do will touch it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and really want to try Yosemite, so i'm going to get a MacBook Pro when I next head back out to LA though as you just can't beat them for laptop power and portability.

Maladroit23

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
MacBook Pro all the way. Portability. Slick, fluid interface. Longevity. Data-accessibility with the iCloud thing. No crashes. No viruses. I've had zero problems with my Macbook Pro. All of my PCs crashed and burned a long time ago and I haven't looked back.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
A Mac. When I was a kid a dream of owning one, one day and it happened. Reason why is exactly to what Finn said, it's fast , reliable and does the job perfectly. I've never had any issues with it and I love everything about Mac Os. Don't think I'll ever change back too Windows. It gave me too many problems

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, nothing Apple produce comes close to the sheer power of my Windows 7 PC. I use it for compiling, video and music editing, gaming and lots of other graphics intensive stuff. It's water cooled and has a set of pretty bleeding edge graphics cards, as well as a top Intel processor, huge RAM and over twenty four terabytes of storage.

The whole thing set me back just over 10,000 GBP (about 16,000 USD) and nothing Apple can do will touch it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and really want to try Yosemite, so i'm going to get a MacBook Pro when I next head back out to LA though as you just can't beat them for laptop power and portability.

Ever heard of the Mac Pro?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Kind of like Continuity for android. Nice.

And it works for everything, anything that pops into my notification center shows on my computer and I can select which apps I want notifications from, and there is also universal copy and paste. If it handled phone calls it would be continuity for Android but it is almost the same.

essay2u

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
As much as I hate to say it, you are completely wrong with this point. If I like Windows, I can buy: Acer, HP, Dell, Falcon NW, Alienware and a plethora of different manufacturers. I can buy different branded components (Ram, Power supply, cpu, motherboard ect...) at my own discretion. With Apple you can buy...well Apple. That means as a Mac user, you have chosen to have no choice.

For example, if I enjoy playing a specific game and I'm using an Apple computer. I've enjoyed that game for a couple of years, and I want to keep my game and my game's data. My Apple dies of unknown causes or goes obsolete. I can't purchase another manufacturers product and expect my game to run. Now, if you are a Windows users, you can. I could have a Dell machine and decide that that HP looks like it is a better bang for the buck. I can go buy that, load the same game I had before, restore the game data and continue as if nothing happens.

There's a reason why Apple hardware costs more for the less. It's because there is no competition in the hardware space for their product. If you want to use osx, you have to buy Apple hardware. If you want to use Windows, you can use any hardware, even Apple's if you want. Even worse in the mobile space, if I like Android, I can choose from probably 100 different smartphones. Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses and I can choose what I want for what purpose. When it's time to upgrade, I can pick any of those Android devices and all apps that I have purchased I'm free to use. With Apple, you have 2. iPhone 6 and 6+. If I want to change to a (for arguments sake) an Android device, I have to repurchase all my apps. That's where the lack of choice is.

I have no problem with Apple's operating system. It looks nice and it does seem easy to use. The only drawback to the OS is compatibility issues with software. What I hate about it that it allows me no choices as far as the actual computer is concerned. It doesn't allow me to simply open it up and install an upgrade. It's far too expensive to get hardware that was outdated last year. This is why the reference to hardware knowledge. If you have good knowledge of the components of your pc and how much they cost, you will realize that Apple is about 2-2.5x the cost of a Windows based machine (if the same or similar hardware is installed).

"Good points. You convinced me to switch." Said no one. Ever. Wrong forum. And actually the wrong site for this silliness. If you're happy, great. Buy what you like. I've been a Mac user since 1989. I liked it then and I like it now. I use a PC at work everyday. Nothing wrong with that either. Simple. Now move along.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been using only OS X since 2007, and have no intention of ever returning. Just bought an iMac in April after seven years on a MacBook. One of the best switches I have ever made.

MarkY3130

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
It's hard to get subjective responses to questions like these on a forum dedicated to all things Apple. I'm not saying the opinions here aren't accurate, there will just be very few people here to provide the counter arguments.

For me, I have been using iPhones and iPads for a long time. That led me to purchase a MacBook Pro in late 2012, my first apple computer. I used it for almost 18 months and fought that thing every day. I am now back on a PC. I used it for both work and personal usage.

I was 28 when I bought it and I am pretty tech savvy. There are things I really liked, like the touchpad and the screen. There were things I hated like "Finder". But the big issues for me were that software I needed was not available for the Mac. Programs I use for work such as Bluebeam, Autodesk products, navisworks, etc. we're not offered. I was able to get an Adobe product to use in place of Bluebeam, so that was fine. However, I could not find any way to view the 3d construction models. I ended up running windows in parallels but that was a mess. Note that I don't even need to create content, I only need to view it and couldn't find any ways that just felt like work arounds.

Also the Microsoft office suite is very different, and I didn't care much for the iWork suite.

In short, the MacBook is a great device, but is not the best fit for some people's needs. As a consumer device it was really good and I liked it a lot. For my professional needs it was a big let down.

If you are going to college and know what your major will be it will help you make the choice. If it will be an engineering or construction degree where you need the programs I listed above, then I would go with a PC.

(It's possible some of these programs are now available for Mac, I haven't checked on it since moving back to Windows)

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I use both, But prefer Mac especially now with Yosemite and iOS 8, I run Windows in bootcamp for things I need to do in Windows.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen