Which would you prefer, a Mac or PC, and why?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Would a Macbook be better for a college student?

If so, is there a learning curve going from Windows to OS X?

Of course, OS X functions differently than Windows does. I didn't think the learning curve was that steep, but there were a couple of "gotchas" along the way. The best resource that I have discovered for switching was a book by David Pogue entitled Switching to the Mac - The Missing Manual. I have the edition for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6), but it has been updated for every version of OS X since. It basically walks you through the differences between OS X and Windows using the "If you did this in Windows, this is how you do it in OS X".

Here is the Table of Contents from the book in .pdf format. Again, I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Last edited:

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
A PC mainly because it feels, I don't know how to say it....more for power users? I have an iMac at home, but it doesn't feel right for me. But my W8.1 convertible, I can do whatever, the file manager for one feels more intuitive, I can customize the them, wallpaper, and start screen out of the box. I like how there is more software for PC too. I like PushBullet for PC for one, I get my phones notifications on my PC without Chrome, and I can push anything on my computer to my phone and anything on my phone to my computer. I also like how Xbox Video is integrated into PC, so I rent and buy movies on my computer, I can stream them on my Xbox too. Oh, and OneDrive is built into PC so all my files and documents are available wherever, even on the web.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
A PC mainly because it feels, I don't know how to say it....more for power users? I have an iMac at home, but it doesn't feel right for me. But my W8.1 convertible, I can do whatever, the file manager for one feels more intuitive, I can customize the them, wallpaper, and start screen out of the box. I like how there is more software for PC too. I like PushBullet for PC for one, I get my phones notifications on my PC without Chrome, and I can push anything on my computer to my phone and anything on my phone to my computer. I also like how Xbox Video is integrated into PC, so I rent and buy movies on my computer, I can stream them on my Xbox too. Oh, and OneDrive is built into PC so all my files and documents are available wherever, even on the web.

There is pushbullet for os x too. I don't agree that PC's are more for power users though. Look at the professional computer industry-photography, video editing, design, and programming- what kind of computer do 75+% of them use?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
There is pushbullet for os x too. I don't agree that PC's are more for power users though. Look at the professional computer industry-photography, video editing, design, and programming- what kind of computer do 75+% of them use?

Pushbullet isn't for OS X yet. And I said for ME. I am speaking for myself, not anyone else. I feel more at home on a PC than a Mac (I have both). A Mac is nice, but I like PCs better.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Pushbullet isn't for OS X yet. And I said for ME. I am speaking for myself, not anyone else. I feel more at home on a PC than a Mac (I have both). A Mac is nice, but I like PCs better.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

My bad, for some reason I thought I saw that pushbullet had been released for os x. But some of its features are built into iOS 8 and Yosemite.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My bad, for some reason I thought I saw that pushbullet had been released for os x. But some of its features are built into iOS 8 and Yosemite.

Yeah, some. But PushBullet is still ahead of the curve. I can reply to text messages from my computer to my phone too. It is the one app that is the best on Android then anywhere else.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Each to their own. I used to think that Windows was more intuitive until I got my first Mac but I'm now sold on OS X and it seems more intuitive. And I use both regularly because I use Windows at work and Mac at home. Part of intuitive is just what you are used to-i.e., it seems more intuitive because you are more familiar with it. It would be really hard these days to test true intuitiveness because so many people are going to be familiar with one or more PC operating systems.
But all of those things can be done with OS X as well. Such as if you replace Xbox video with iTunes and Xbox with AppleTV, I can buy videos on my PC and watch them via the AppleTV.
But as I said, each to their own. I pretty fluidly switch back and forth.

I don't want to live in the Apple ecosystem, it seems people get stuck in it and never get out of it. At least Microsoft Services are ubiquitous enough that my phone choice is never hampered by ecosystem. I can buy an iPhone, WP or an Android device and still have all my Microsoft Services. Apple stuff is for Apple hardware only and I only have an iMac, as compared to my Xbox, windows PC, and Android phone.

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hands down PC. The main reason is because I prefer to build and maintain my own devices. My home pc is primarily used for gaming, photo and video editing. As I build my own, I can pick the specifications that I want, not what somebody tells me that I need. Windows is also a far better platform for gaming (Apple runs games notoriously poorly for what should be a similar machine). For example in the game that I'm playing, the latest Macbooks struggle, where a similarly priced Windows based laptop runs it with no issues. By building my own PC, I also saved about 70% of the cost of a similarly specced Mac, not to mention have the ability to upgrade and replace parts as necessary. I have a couple recent things that have solidified this.

I have a power PC that I built for myself in February this year. The hardware equivalent is a Mac Pro Quad core. I have the same CPU, more ram, similar video, bigger SSD, a HD which the Mac pro does not have and I can swap out equipment at any time. The price of the Mac Pro? $3200. The price I paid? $1300.00

The second story is with regards to my parents pc. They were having perceived performance issues with their desktop pc. I went over and found that the hard drive wasn't performing well. I bought a new SSD, installed that and they are very happy with the upgrade. With a Mac, you cannot perform upgrades like this, so they would have had to purchase a new computer for $1000+ instead of a $100 upgrade.

There are definitely times and places for a Mac, however for typical use at home, and those that know nothing or want to know nothing about their hardware can do nicely with them, however those that do know a little bit about hardware, the quality of their hardware and want good value for their performance, the PC is the better bet. It all depends on you.

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
That's absolutely correct. The Apple ecosystem is designed to trap it's users. It's one of the marketing techniques that Apple uses to ensure it's customers continue to overpay for their devices.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to live in the Apple ecosystem, it seems people get stuck in it and never get out of it. At least Microsoft Services are ubiquitous enough that my phone choice is never hampered by ecosystem. I can buy an iPhone, WP or an Android device and still have all my Microsoft Services. Apple stuff is for Apple hardware only and I only have an iMac, as compared to my Xbox, windows PC, and Android phone.

I am quite happy with the Apple ecosystem. Everything works together. OS X software titles may not be as plentiful as it is for Windows, but I have software for everything that I need. The fact that the OS and the hardware come from the same company is a major plus. There are virtually no problems with missing or poorly written drivers for the thousands of brands of hardware, adapters and add-ons for Windows. I have yet to experience a blue screen of death (BSOD) in OS X - something that I could never say about Windows.

With regard to your comment that people get stuck in the Apple ecosystem and never get out, I have no desire to leave. I have everything that I need right here in Apple-land.

As Karen said, to each his own.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
That's absolutely correct. The Apple ecosystem is designed to trap it's users. It's one of the marketing techniques that Apple uses to ensure it's customers continue to overpay for their devices.

I don't know about overpaying, but it is designed to keep people inside of it, especially since Apples services are good, people see no reason to leave, on your point about custom PC's, I have been thinking on my making my own PC or at least getting a gaming laptop within the next year or so. I have always wanted to try PC gaming.

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I picked up MBA 13" in Aug this year. I was a PC user for years and was satisfied until I saw Mac of my cousin brother.

Everything just works the way it does on iPhones. Super fast, light weight, amazing battery life, awesome build quality, speakers are nice., flash storage etc etc!

I am a power user(I work for IT company as Xenapp/Xendesktop engineer) who is used to Windows so much but honestly windows is only good in enterprise now. For personal use, Mac is the way to go!

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
That's why I said each to their own. I use a wide variety of Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Apple services all of which work on my Mac and most of which work with my Windows PC at work. And then I add on Dropbox, Box, etc which are also cross platform. So it works FOR ME.

And that is fine, as you say to each their own. I tried Dropbox etc. but they offer no clear advantages over Microsoft's for now. I did use Google Services heavily for a while, but their Google Drive office suite outright sucks for advanced calculations for excel for example or more advanced document editing, but for the basics like writing essays they do fine.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I am quite happy with the Apple ecosystem. Everything works together. OS X software titles may not be as plentiful as it is for Windows, but I have software for everything that I need. The fact that the OS and the hardware come from the same company is a major plus. There are virtually no problems with missing or poorly written drivers for the thousands of brands of hardware, adapters and add-ons for Windows. I have yet to experience a blue screen of death (BSOD) in OS X - something that I could never say about Windows.

With regard to your comment that people get stuck in the Apple ecosystem and never get out, I have no desire to leave. I have everything that I need right here in Apple-land.

As Karen said, to each his own.

I never had missing or poor drivers on PCs or a BSOD, and I have been using PCs since like 2005, when I got my first computer. And that is fine for people who like staying using Apple stuff, but I can't see myself attached to one company's hardware for a long time.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

What company isn't in business to make as much money as they can? No one is forcing anyone to do anything. IMO, Apple offers a better product, and that quality is worth a premium to me.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I never had missing or poor drivers on PCs or a BSOD, and I have been using PCs since like 2005, when I got my first computer. And that is fine for people who like staying using Apple stuff, but I can't see myself attached to one company's hardware for a long time.

Fair enough. As I said earlier, this thread is about opinions and preference. Enjoy your tech and I’ll enjoy mine. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox