My macbook is from 2008. It has the plastic shell which has cracked and is falling apart (after a fall on concrete) where the mag power plugs in. Now it's not charging. What needs to be done to replace this part or is there a way to bypass it?
    10-11-2014 10:13 AM
    On the Mac? Or the Plug? I'm confused.
    10-11-2014 10:16 AM
    The plastic cracking probably has nothing to do with it. The fall that cracked the case probably loosened or disconnected any wires connecting the MagSafe port and battery. You probably need to take it somewhere to get it repaired.
    10-11-2014 10:30 AM
    My macbook is from 2008. It has the plastic shell which has cracked and is falling apart (after a fall on concrete) where the mag power plugs in. Now it's not charging. What needs to be done to replace this part or is there a way to bypass it?
    If the plastic case on your MacBook is broken (especially from a drop), it’s possible that the charging port/board in the MacBook was also damaged. I have a 2010 MacBook, and over time the plastic case began to crack. Eventually the part of the case around the magsafe port was completely broken away. Over time, the magsafe port shorted out, and the MB refused to charge. Fortunately, I had AppleCare on the computer, and Apple replaced the magsafe port and the entire case (both upper and lower) under warranty.

You could be looking at an expensive repair. Perhaps it’s time to upgrade?
    10-11-2014 10:34 AM
    Thanks,

I would like to avoid an expensive repair for an old computer but would like to continue using it since it works perfectly fine. Is there an adapter for the power cord to plug into where the battery plugs into, therefore bypassing the charging port/board?
    10-11-2014 10:57 AM
    Thanks,

I would like to avoid an expensive repair for an old computer but would like to continue using it since it works perfectly fine. Is there an adapter for the power cord to plug into where the battery plugs into, therefore bypassing the charging port/board?
    No.
    10-11-2014 11:12 AM