Why are my files being deleted from Google Drive?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Google Drive

So now I don't know what is going on with Google Drive. Twice in the past month, all my files and photos within the folders I created have disappeared.
I never deleted these files, so where did they go?
So now I go into iPhoto on my Mac, I drag and drop the files back into the folders in Drive.
When I look at the photos in drive on my 5C, I noticed they were saved as a Google Doc file.
Why would a JPEG file be saved as a doc file? Has anybody else encountered an issue with Google Drive?
I would use Dropbox, but they only offer 2GB's of storage. Thanks, and have a great day.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google Drive

Wow! I haven't experienced this and I'm looking at my drive as I type this.

I use OneDrive more than anything now and they have a Mac app but I've never used it. So I'm not sure if you can sync from the folder on your Mac like Google Drive & DropBox or if it's done in the app.

However, OneDrive is 15GB & they give you 3GB if you turn on mobile uploads when you install the mobile app.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Google Drive

Google Drive has a MAC app also.
I thought it was odd when I saw the folder empty on my MAC, until I looked on my phone.
As I said, I did drag and drop into Google Drive from within iPhoto.
I'll have to check it out again, when I get home.
All I know is, Google Drive is becoming unreliable.
I am also puzzled as to how they were interpreted as a doc file and not JPEG.
I can upload from my phone to Drive, and the files are fine.
When I get home, I'll install and use Dropbox.
The only concern I have with them, they got horrible reviews on iOS.
When you follow the steps, you get at least 3GB's of storage.
That will work until I figure out another option.
When iCloud Drive gets implemented, that might be an option as well.
I am also planning on getting an external hard drive, so I can set up Time Machine.

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Google Drive

I solved one problem. I learned how to send photos to Google Drive, so they go as a JPEG file, and not a Doc file.
It's best to download the Drive app, than export the files from iPhoto.
I still haven't solved the deleted files problem.
While I was syncing over the. files to Google Drive.
I was literally watching the files in One Drive get deleted one by one.
So I am stumped, I am new to the MAC.
So maybe it's something I did to cause the issue.
As for Dropbox, there is no app that I know of. I went in the App Store, and came up empty.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

There's definitely a Dropbox app in the iOS AppStore. If you meant the Mac AppStore, then there may not be one but if you go to Dropbox.com they have a Mac client to download.

Ok Karen, thanks. I was looking in the Mac App Store.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I gave up on Google Drive for now.
I installed the desktop app on my Mac, yet it wasn't putting a folder in Finder, so I would know where to choose the photos to export from.
Also on my iPhone, which baffles me.
If I wanted to upload photos from my photo stream.
For some odd reason, the Drive app wasn't recognizing the photos, which were synced through iTunes to my Mac.
I would hit upload, and all I got was a quick view, and then a blank screen.
You have to use iPhoto or the photos go through as a Doc file, if you drag and drop from your Mac.
Documents, those were an issue as well, if I tried to drag and drop the files from my Mac to Drive.
All the files would open as a doc file like the photos.
PDF files were getting converted for some odd reason, just like the photos were.

So maybe somebody could enlighten me as to the best way to upload documents to Google Drive?
And why the photos acted the way they did within the app.
It bothers me because the app got great reviews on iOS. Thanks and sorry for the long post. Hope you can help me out.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Google Drive sucks big time. I tried to upload some pics to it, and it took all day to upload 32/127 pics I needed to upload.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Google Drive sucks big time. I tried to upload some pics to it, and it took all day to upload 32/127 pics I needed to upload.

I guess I left that one out, you're right on that one.
I guess, I am not alone with my feelings on Google Drive.
I really tried to like the app and make it work.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

I use Google Drive at home and work on Mac. With ios and Android devices. Never experienced any of the problems you described. Nothing can actually be completely deleted from your Google Drive unless you empty the trash can from the browser mode. This is a safeguard for your files.

ಠ益ಠ

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
For me it was operator error with files being deleted.
As for files getting converted to docs, there is a setting on your pc or Mac to check or uncheck.
What I am still trying to solve, uploading photos.
The Drive app doesn't play nice with the Mac.
Photos that are synced to my phone through iTunes.
I found either the Drive app doesn't see the photos, like I stated before, a blank screen.
Or in this new case, when I hit upload.
When it sees the photos, I check off what I want uploaded.
And then nothing happens, it will not upload.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Wow! I haven't experienced this and I'm looking at my drive as I type this.

I use OneDrive more than anything now and they have a Mac app but I've never used it. So I'm not sure if you can sync from the folder on your Mac like Google Drive & DropBox or if it's done in the app.

However, OneDrive is 15GB & they give you 3GB if you turn on mobile uploads when you install the mobile app.
I thought OneDrive upped it to 30 gb?
OneDrive screenshot:
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1414017795.632768.jpg

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
For $99 a year I have 1TB for up to 5 people and Office 365 also for 5 mac's or PC's and 5 phone and 5 tablets.

Love OneDrive

Last edited: