Older tech dummy here. Am wondering how to backup or sync iPhone without iTunes account. Allways had old flip top phones since they came out. Family member gave me an iPhone. Never realized what I had been missing! Found it very easy to use but don,t understand this part of it.
    10-06-2014 09:20 AM
    Hi and welcome to the iPhone!
    In order to sync and backup your device, the iPhone really does need an iTunes account. Is there a particular reason you don't wan to use iTunes?
    When you say compatible with Windows One Drive, what are you trying to do, exactly? I've never attempted this.
    10-06-2014 10:33 AM
    I see there may be some confusion regarding your question - there are the systems themselves and then there is the service they provide which is simply remote storage. Addressing the first part, the systems, it is pretty safe to assume that Apple and Microsoft will never be compatible.They are drastically different systems. But, what really matters to the user: iCloud and OneDrive are simply remote storage solutions so you can store any type of file on either and you can, by way of your personal devices, move files from one to the other. However, you will need to have an account on both - same applies to Google Drive, DropBox and others. As long as you have an account to login you can store any files you want within the limits of the space allotted. Each is an individual service provided by companies that are hoping to sell you more space, therefore each has a secure login that allows for access to the 5gb or more they provide for free and the ability to pay for any additional storage you might need.
    10-06-2014 10:51 AM
    Apple keeps a tight rein on their systems to help avoid problems, so the only method to sync and backup is via iTunes and you will need to establish an iTunes account - it is not necessary to buy anything, buying is always optional. But the account gives you the ability to download apps, music and more - free and paid. iCloud is a very handy method to keep your backups always available "just in case", plus it gives you the ability to sync calendars, contacts, photos, etc and now the new iCloud Drive for files. I'm a bit anal about having multiple backups, so every so often I tick the selector in iTunes to backup to my PC. As for syncing - once you get into iTunes, plug in your iPhone and iTunes will recognize it. You can then look through all the sections to select what you want to sync.

The whole idea is that Apple has created a cohesive ecosystem where iTunes on the PC, iCloud, iDevices and iTunes Store all work together - whether you download free apps, books, music, etc or buy them, your content is always remembered. In the event you delete some thing, you can always get it back and if you paid for it, you will not need to buy it again.
    10-06-2014 11:31 AM
    Thanks for the great info. I have nothing against opening an iTunes account on my PC I just didn,t realize that it was a free service. Didn,t need another bill at the moment if you know what I mean!
    Another rookie question or two: I have an Apple account on my iPhone and have noticed that when I go into iTunes on iPhone the Apple account name and password work for it (I,m pretty sure it does anyways) Does that mean that when I open a new iTunes account on my PC I should use the same user name and password as Apple account on iPhone?
    Sorry about the dumb questions and thanks so much for the help.
    10-06-2014 05:57 PM