Now that i got my upgrade iPhone 6 I have my old iPhone 5 and I decided to keep it as I can still use it around the house for Sonos and other wifi apps. I noticed I can also receive phone calls on it through continuity feature, which is great. But I can't receive iMessage text messages from my cell phone # (i can from email addresses but most texts are to my cell #). I do receive them on my iPad mini. Is there any way I can do this? My cell # is not highlightable or checkable under settings>messages. This would be incredibly useful and allow my old phone to virtually be a second handset within my wifi network.

Thank you!!!
    09-29-2014 01:21 AM
    Continuity for SMS requires an active SIM in the device to get the SMS; you'll get all the iMessages since it's linked to your email as well; but SMS won't work. Also iMessage for your # is only linked to your primary device with the active SIM since Apple only allows 1 number linked to iMessage.
    09-29-2014 01:30 AM
    I am not as concerned with SMS texts, I know that feature hasn't even been turned on yet. It is more about iMessages to my cell #. This does work with iPads and even my MacBook running Yosemite. It works with everything but my deactivated iPhone 5. Maybe the answer is to remove the sim card. I turned off the "cellular" services under settings thinking that may help.
    09-29-2014 01:36 AM
    Basically what your phone is, is an ipod. The only reason you're iPad can get text messages from your cell number is because of the continuity feature that your activated phone is giving your iPad/computer. Because your deactivated iPhone doesn't have your cell phone number because your iPhone 6 has it now, there is no way for someone, even if it's iMessage, to text you under that phone number when your new iPhone 6 has that number attached.

You can still get iMessages under your email because your Apple ID is logged on in your iPhone 5.
    09-29-2014 01:44 AM
    But my deactivated iPhone 5 will ring if I get a phone call from the continuity feature. And in FaceTime settings I see the phone # listed and checked (just not in messages). That's why I asked the question, there may be a way to get the iPhone to receive messages from cell #'s too. In every respect my deactivated iPhone should function like an iPad and iPads receive messages from cell #'s due to continuity.
    09-29-2014 01:52 AM
    Based on continuity, it should ring when you get calls (so long as it's on 8.0 or higher) and iMessage should work.

When they turn on SMS continuity, that should work too so long as you're on wifi with the activated phone too.

This is all assuming, of course, that your phone number is attached to your iCloud account. Mine is and I know that iMessage shows up in at least 3 places now (Mac, iPad and phone) and should be 4 places whenever I have my 5 turned on.

Sent from my shiny new iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
    09-29-2014 01:52 AM
    It is on the iCloud account and I do get all blue messages on my iPad and MacBook whether sent to an email address or my phone #. But I don't get the blue, non SMS, messages on my iPhone 5 that are sent to my phone #. Are you saying you get them on your deactivated iPhone 5? Maybe I am not explaining this right. I do appreciate the responses. As the iPhone 6 Plus is so massive, within my home it would be nice to have full functionality from my old iPhone 5. I can receive phone calls, so the only thing missing is Blue text messages. I am not concerned with SMS messages as my iPad won't get those. I just want my old phone to do whatever an iPad can do and right now I can't figure out how to make that happen.
    09-29-2014 02:06 AM
    People are saying they can get phone calls on deactivated phones from their activated phones. You should try
    09-29-2014 11:09 AM
    I agree with that and have that working. It is receiving the Blue text messages from my cell phone I would really like as well...
    09-29-2014 11:22 AM
    I understand what you are asking and the answer is yes you should be able to get iMessages to your iPhone 5 as long as it has a data connection (in your case WiFi) and is logged into your Apple ID with iMessage turned on. It should work just like an iPod, iPad, or Mac. I have had occasions where any one of those devices wouldn't receive iMessages to my cell phone number and I've had to turn off iMessage on all of my devices, turn it back on on my phone first, and then turn it on on the other devices. I don't know why it happens. If it doesn't work for you, then you should call apple.
    09-29-2014 12:26 PM
    Thanks... My iPhone 5 is hung up with "waiting for activation..." on the Messages setting tab. I just called apple support, they need to write a ticket and get back to me. If they have a solution I will post it here.
    09-29-2014 02:03 PM
    FWIW, I know two people who lost the ability to use iMessage to or from their cell phone number when they upgraded their device to iOS 8.they could send and receive messages from their iMessage registered email address, but not from their phone number. The solution was logging out of iMessage, and then logging back in. Sounds like you logged out, I wish you good luck getting back in!
    09-29-2014 04:14 PM