Why won't some of my apps work over home Wi-Fi?

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have found a couple apps that refuse to open on my home wifi. They will work on the wifi i have at work and they will work using cellular data. I've tried turning off wifi and back on, rebooting the phone, forgetting the wifi network and re-joining. last night i put my phone in airplane mode for a minute and switched back and it decided to work but only for a short time and then the problem came back. i restored my iphone 6 from backup when i first set it up. i don't know if resetting the network settings will work or not. i don't know what to do.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Try this as per Apple

[h=2]Resolution[/h]Occasionally while using your iOS device, you may notice unexpected Wi-Fi behavior:

• Difficulty locating or connecting to a network
  • Unexpected Wi-Fi signal strength or disconnects
  • Inability to access the Internet
  • Not automatically connecting to Wi-Fi when expected
Follow these steps to troubleshoot the above issues:

1. Be sure you're in range of your Wi-Fi router (access point).
  2. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off and on. If your Wi-Fi setting is dimmed, follow these steps.
  3. Confirm that your Wi-Fi router and cable or DSL modem are connected to power, turned on, and connected to the Internet. If not, refer to your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for assistance.
  4. Restart your iOS device.
  5. Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected.
  6. Tap
    TS1398_i.png
    and Forget this Network.
  7. Try to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network.
    Note: You may need to enter your Wi-Fi password again if your network requires one.
  8. Turn your Wi-Fi router off and on2. If your ISP also provides cable or phone service, check with them before attempting this step to avoid interruption of service.
  9. Update your device to the latest version of software.
  10. Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware2. For AirPort Base Stations, install updates using the AirPort Utility.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any problems turning on wifi. I have a problem with apps using my home wifi network. a select few will only work if wifi is turned off, but they will work on other wifi networks

lavonda

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I think it won't be fixed until the next update is released. I'm having the same issue and it didn't start until iOS 8 was released.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it won't be fixed until the next update is released. I'm having the same issue and it didn't start until iOS 8 was released.
There is talk of an iOS8.0.1 releasing soon to deal with issues, including a wifi bug some are experiencing.

Update... iOS8.0.1 is available NOW.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There is talk of an iOS8.0.1 releasing soon to deal with issues, including a wifi bug some are experiencing.

Update... iOS8.0.1 is available NOW.

I don't think that is the issue though from what I've read about it. The update doesn't even include anything about wifi issues

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since the problem only occurs with your home Wi-Fi network, check your wireless router. It is possible that it simply needs rebooting or you may have to go through it's menu to check and make sure that something is not blocking access to those apps, especially if it has a built-in firewall setting.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Since the problem only occurs with your home Wi-Fi network, check your wireless router. It is possible that it simply needs rebooting or you may have to go through it's menu to check and make sure that something is not blocking access to those apps, especially if it has a built-in firewall setting.

i've rebooted the router several times now and nothing. there are no firewall settings that would block it. everything works fine on my 4S though

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I did a firmware update on my router and now it actually seems to be working (for now at least). I'll have to wait and see if it keeps working

michael thorene

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
you restarted not reset theirs a difference a restart is to power off and on the device to force it to reboot. where a reset, resets the data to factory default witch will erase everything on the router including network name and password, and any custom settings you made along the way, like a custom dhcp setup or static addresses.

marygil

Nov 10, 2020
Visit site
I have found a couple apps that refuse to open on my home wifi. They will work on the wifi i have at work and they will work using cellular data. I've tried turning off wifi and back on, rebooting the phone, forgetting the wifi network and re-joining. last night i put my phone in airplane mode for a minute and switched back and it decided to work but only for a short time and then the problem came back. i restored my iphone 7 plus from backup when i first set it up. i don't know if resetting the network settings will work or not. i don't know what to do.
Please help me

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I would reset the Network Settings. You might have some incorrect settings relating to network access that this should clear out.

Word of caution: This will erase all saved WiFi networks, Bluetooth devices (unless this changed) and mobile settings (usually not an issue as these will be set immediately after reboot).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro