I'm a long-term BlackBerry user (and part-time Android user) who's considering her options as my upgrade approaches.

I work in IT, and it's important that I be alerted whenever a server goes offline. My BlackBerry uses an app to watch for "Alert:" in the subject, while my Android uses an app to receive emails from an email address dedicated to receiving only alerts. In both cases the phone will sound a loud alarm when an alert is received, even when in "Silent Mode" at night when all other notifications are silenced, and continues to sound the alert every few minutes until I acknowledge it.

Can that functionality be replicated though iOS with either settings and/or an app?

I see iOS has VIP settings for email, but it doesn't seem to override Do Not Disturd mode. And while I see repeating alerts for up to twenty minutes for Messages, I don't see anything for emails.

I basically want my phone to stay quiet at night except for phone calls or certain "Alert:" emails. Can that be done in iOS?
    09-21-2014 04:03 PM
  2. Just_Me_D said: Best Answer

Phone calls from contacts who are a part of your "Favorites" group will audibly alert you when DNR is active if the option is enabled in the Do Not Disturb settings, however, there is no such option for text and email alerts.
    Phone calls from contacts who are a part of your "Favorites" group will audibly alert you when DNR is active if the option is enabled in the Do Not Disturb settings, however, there is no such option for text and email alerts.
    katesbb likes this.
    09-21-2014 09:08 PM
    Can a third-party app override that though?

Neither BlackBerry nor Android have a built-in option to override Silent Mode for emails or text, but by using BeBuzz (BlackBerry) or LightFlow (Android) I can have alerts sound under specific conditions, even if the phone is otherwise silenced. The apps monitor incoming mails and texts, and sound an alert when certain conditions are met - even in SIlent Mode.

Are there any third-party iOS apps which can do something similar? Can third-party apps access and monitor iOS emails and texts?
    09-22-2014 10:55 AM
    09-22-2014 10:57 AM
    I work in IT, and it's important that I be alerted whenever a server goes offline... the phone will sound a loud alarm when an alert is received, even when in "Silent Mode" at night when all other notifications are silenced, and continues to sound the alert every few minutes until I acknowledge it.
    Has anyone else who works in IT found a creative way to allow this with an iPhone? I basically need a way to silence the usual alerts when sleeping, yet somehow be woken by an alert if a server goes offline.

What do you IT people with iPhones do about alerts while sleeping? What do you do if you're "on call" 24/7, but it's computers (not humans) who need to reach you somehow?

I know I'm obsessing lol, but it's the one thing making me hesitate from getting an iPhone.

Hmmm, you know, I did just buy a MacBook (which I don't know very well yet). Perhaps that could help somehow?
    11-04-2014 12:29 PM
    Has anyone else who works in IT found a creative way to allow this with an iPhone? I basically need a way to silence the usual alerts when sleeping, yet somehow be woken by an alert if a server goes offline.

What do you IT people with iPhones do about alerts while sleeping? What do you do if you're "on call" 24/7, but it's computers (not humans) who need to reach you somehow?

I know I'm obsessing lol, but it's the one thing making me hesitate from getting an iPhone.

Hmmm, you know, I did just buy a MacBook (which I don't know very well yet). Perhaps that could help somehow?
    I used to use an app called MailTones for alerting me to work support issues and alerts. But there are a couple of issues. First of all, I dont think it (or anything 3rd party) can override DND. Also, in order for MailTones to work, it routes the email through their servers. It could be a security concern. In my case, the email that I got was simply an 8 digit incident number, so there was no issue - without knowing what that number meant or what to do with it, it was just an 8 digit number. Of course, your situation may be different.

But the bottom line is that I think DO NOT DISTURB means exactly that.
    11-04-2014 12:49 PM
    Does your alert come via a phone number? If so, just add the number as a contact and set it as a favorite. Then set DND to allow favorites.
    OK, I see it comes email.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    11-04-2014 12:49 PM