Photos and calendar appointments lost since upgrading to iOS8 - how do I get them back?

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Many forums state "don't panic, your photos aren't lost they are just in a different place", I wish that were true as mine aren't. Since installing iOS 8 I can only view photos on my iPad that were taken using my iPod touch. I have no option to activate photo library (it appears some do, some don't) and as yet I haven't activated iCloud Drive. My iPod touch is still running iOS 6 and strangely it still shows ALL photo's taken on that device and my iPad under my old photo stream (So I know they are still on the cloud somewhere). So why can I not see them on my iPad under moments etc as others can? My iPod was my first device to use iCloud followed a year or so later by my iPad (I don't yet have an iPhone). I have also lost all of my calendar appointments again (this happened before when upgrading to iOS 7) - I have all calendars ticked to show so that isn't the problem. Will my iPad be able to see the 680 odd missing photos when the photo library comes into play I wonder? Any ideas anyone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Relax
2. On the device you're having the problems viewing the photos, initiate the Photos app. You should see two choices - Photos and Albums. Tap on Albums. Now tap on the album that displays your photos. Do you see your missing photos? If not, tap on Photos and then scroll to the very top to display the oldest date. From there, go through each date stack and check for your missing photos.

In regard to your calendars, are they associated with an email service like iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etcetera? If so, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars, tap on the email account and then make sure that the button next to "Calendars" is enabled.

If you need any more assistance, don't hesitate to ask, but please explain yourself more clearly. Thanks....:)

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I thought I was being quite clear and not sure what other info may be required. As I stated, my photos are missing. I only show two albums, recently added and recently deleted. Recently added shows 15 photos, 7 taken in the last week using my iPod touch, the others being screen shots or saved from web pages. If I click on the photos tab at the bottom and view 'collections' I can only see photos taken over the last 2 years+ taken using my iPod touch, the total displayed at the bottom states 106 photos. Photos taken or saved on my iPad are NOT there. Photo stream still showing on my iPod touch still shows ALL photos taken on both devices and totals 683 photos. Therefore the iPad photos ARE missing, I cannot view them on my iPad. The calendar button is turned on under mail, contacts, calendars. appointments HAVE been lost again.

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Update: I went onto iCloud Photos on my Apple TV to see what was in my photo stream. 460 photos available (so some 223 missing here) and again strangely this shows old photos deleted from my photo stream some time ago. So to clarify, my iPod, iPad and Apple TV all show different stages of photos stored on my account. This is a mess and disappointing from Apple. I've ordered an iPhone six with the intention of using the camera fairly frequently. I may have to think again now as I don't want to keep losing my photos or not being able to see them.

Last edited:

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. As previously stated, my iPad photos ARE missing from 'Years > Collections' ! - I know camera roll is no longer there, I know I have to look here, they are NOT all there, only the 106 taken on my iPod touch !
It guess it must be hard for those for whom everything is working fine to understand the issue I have as when they look at their device all is as it should be, mine unfortunately isn't.
As for the calendar, yes it is the iCloud calendar, no it's not linked to google or anything else and yes it is all future events missing, I am aware old events disappear. But thanks for the advice.
I guess there is done corruption going on on my iCloud. I'm contemplating turning on iCloud Drive to see if that helps but I'm worried that nay cause other problems !

rja1966

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
No, I havnt.
I'm more annoyed with not being able to see my photos tbh. Someone suggested turning off photo stream and turning it on again. I did that, it deleted the 106 (iPod) photos left after the iOS8 upgrade and then brought in just 32 photos from my photo stream. (These appear to be photos used or saved within the last 30 days). So now I'm down to just 32 pics showing on my iPad under recently added or years>collections.

Shmb79

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I am also missing my calendar appointments. I am using Lotus Notes.
Under Mail, Contacts, Calendar
1. => Account for Lotus Notes - the Calendar is checked
2. => Calendar - Lotus Notes Account was not listed as an option

Under icloud.com, calendar view is also not displaying my Lotus Notes appointments.

Kathy Gorges

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I completely understand your frustration! I know this is an older post and I hope you got resolution for your issues! I've had same issues with my calendar and I've tried everything possible it seems so when I ask for help and someone tells me something to do as if I didn't try it or think to try it is somewhat insulting. I know people are trying to help, I really do, and am very grateful people take the time to even respond to a question, don't get me wrong!! I still can't get my calendar to keep appts on both iPad and iPhone when I sync or update. Goes for contacts as well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Photos and calendar appointments lost since upgrading to iOS8 - how do I get ...

I completely understand your frustration! I know this is an older post and I hope you got resolution for your issues! I've had same issues with my calendar and I've tried everything possible it seems so when I ask for help and someone tells me something to do as if I didn't try it or think to try it is somewhat insulting. I know people are trying to help, I really do, and am very grateful people take the time to even respond to a question, don't get me wrong!! I still can't get my calendar to keep appts on both iPad and iPhone when I sync or update. Goes for contacts as well.

There's a lot of iOS users that come through iMore looking for help. Most don't give enough info or they don't let us know what troubleshooting they have already done. So we start with the most obvious and most successful suggestions. Our purpose for being here is to help. We like to cover all the bases and be sure all is being done that may fix whatever issue there is. No one is trying to insult anyone. Sorry you had that experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner