Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a 5c today off craigslist and get to the store and they cant activate it! why? because it was still linked to the apple id and password! I called apple and they said they cant do anything. Im out of my money? this is bullish to the fullest.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you not contact the purchaser and have him or her login to their iCloud account and wipe the phone via the online Find my iPhone feature? That is all that it will take. Having said that, if you can't get a hold of the person you bought it from or if it was not their device in the first place, you are indeed screwed, unfortunately.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a 5c today off craigslist and get to the store and they cant activate it! why? because it was still linked to the apple id and password! I called apple and they said they cant do anything. Im out of my money? this is bullish to the fullest.

Apple added the Activation Lock to iOS 7 to combat the rampant unauthorized reselling of lost/stolen devices. There is no way around this lockout… your only options are to contact the person you bought it from and get (1) the Apple ID login credentials, or (2) your money back. If you bought it from an honest/legitimate seller, they’ll help you out. If you bought a stolen device from a scumbag, you are simply SOL, and you now own a pretty, albeit expensive, paperweight.

I love the Activation Lock concept, but it appears to be punishing the unwitting buyer much more than the scumbag thief. So there it is. If you purchased the device from someone on eBay or CraigsList or a similar site, take whatever recourse you have against the seller to recover your cash.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh