Am I am able to share apps with a Family Sharing plan?

I

iMore Question

Problem with Family Sharing (members not showing up)

My fiancee and I set up sharing on both of our iphone 5's (I have verizon, she has AT&T). We are linked together with her being the organizer. Our photos are shared and so are our calendars.

However, we cannot share our apps. We don't show up in each other's purchased section of itunes, the app store, or ibooks. All that is shown is what we bought ourselves. What gives? So frustrating since I want to use an app of hers and don't want to waste money when I don't have to. Apple's instructions aren't very helpful either as what they say should happen is not happening.

David McKee

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

Bump! Same issue.

Calendars and photos are shared, but in the App Store the family organizer sees "my purchases" but not the other member... And on the other member's phone, not even "my purchases" option is seen. Just the same list as if family sharing wasn't enabled.

But basically the same issue...

twilite2000

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

I've also added and deleted daughter twice. HOW DO I PUT IN A TICKET TO FIX IT? Please help. The directions did not state you had to wait for everything to sync up. I just assumed it didn't work.

iOSX

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
re:

Open the App Store. Tap on the "Updates" tab and then tap on "Purchased" at the top. You should be taken to a screen where it shows you and your family member(s), and you can select the user and download apps that they have purchased.

David McKee

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

Open the App Store. Tap on the "Updates" tab and then tap on "Purchased" at the top. You should be taken to a screen where it shows you and your family member(s), and you can select the user and download apps that they have purchased.

THAT is the problem. I do not see other family members there.

If someone talks to apple and gets an answer, please update this thread :)

Kiwiadventure

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

What I have done over the years is the family had one main iTunes account for purchases this way know-one was doubling up on App music etc purchases and now with family sharing each family member can have their own ID and can also down load and watch all of iTunes family purchases best of both worlds.

Any apps purchased on other ID's can be download and then sign out and sign into you family iTunes ID.

I hope Apple will link contacts together into family sharing.

Voicey

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

Until it works you can use the same family sharing as under ios7: one common id for appstore/itunes and each member having their own individual icloud id. Has worked fine for us for a couple of years and continues the same on ios8. Bonne chance :)

David McKee

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

Until it works you can use the same family sharing as under ios7...

Okay, look. This thread isn't about how we could do it. This thread is about a broken feature and the OP (and myself) would like a solution for the current iOS 8 Family Sharing capability, NOT work arounds. My wife and I have had separate appleid accounts for YEARS; using one account will not work for us.

The problem again; this isn't working as expected:

David McKee

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
[Fixed itself] Re: Problem with Family Sharing (members not showing up)

This issue is now fixed on my account. I took no action at all; I did not contact Apple Support...

Anyone else find that this is resolved for them?

I now see my wife listed in the Updates > Purchased section of App Store. :yes:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Fixed itself] Re: Problem with Family Sharing (members not showing up)

There may be some lag while Apple's back-end systems process all the new stuff going on and all the front-end servers can sync up to the back end...

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Fixed itself] Re: Problem with Family Sharing (members not showing up)

ok so I set it up for my husband and I to share with me as the manager him as the adult- I thought i did it right but I can see his purchases but he can't see mine. on his when i go to purchased all we get it a message "this iTunes account is set up to use family sharing with a different iCloud account than email address...

David McKee

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

There may be some lag while Apple's back-end systems process all the new stuff going on ...

I hadn't thought of this, but I'm willing to bet this is the case. Everyone should give it a few days. That's all it took for my wife and I.

It stinks, and apple could have sent an email saying it might take a few days... But they also might have been in the dark about it.

There is absolutely no way to quality test something for millions of actual users. Oh well.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
re:

For what it's worth... Set up with my siblings yesterday... I can see their purchases today... It may not be immediate, but now shouldn't take days either...

Hayjak

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
re:

I am having a problem with this as well. My daughter shows up on my iPhone 6 but not my iPad air which has iOS 8 installed. Any solutions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2