But when we get a new phone, we are told to install fresh (not from backup)

And on this note, why doesnt apple allow up to backup select items (like just phone logs, or messenger logs). If I have to install a fresh install, I lose my converstaions
    09-17-2014 09:04 PM
    You do NOT have to install fresh. That is a personal preference. As for why Apple doesn't allow for select backups, I don't know. Hopefully, we'll be able to one day...
    09-18-2014 03:07 PM
    Everytime that I have had an issue with my iphones, I go to the Apple store. Over the past 4 years, I have had about 5 replaced. Everytime I get the replacement, the Apple Genius tells me to do a fresh install. They have always advised me to not install from a backup.
    09-18-2014 03:47 PM
    It may have to do with why you went to Apple, maybe your previous iphone had an issue
    09-18-2014 03:53 PM
    Back up Back up Back up Back up
    09-18-2014 03:58 PM
    But when we get a new phone, we are told to install fresh (not from backup)

And on this note, why doesnt apple allow up to backup select items (like just phone logs, or messenger logs). If I have to install a fresh install, I lose my converstaions
    I get a new phone every year (and sometimes I get warranty replacements in mid-year) and Ive NEVER been told that I had to (or even that I should) do a "set up as new" (fresh?). I always restore from a backup. Not sure where you got this information, but its malarky, pure and simple.
    09-18-2014 04:25 PM
    I go to the Apple store in Annapolis, MD. Everytime I am there getting a replacement, that is what they tell me. I have found 3rd party apps to use instead of the Apple apps (stocks, notes, weather) and most of my other apps that I use, backup my info. So the only apps that this impacts are imessage and phone logs. It is just a simple question. I am more surprised that you think it is odd to be told to set up new.
    09-18-2014 04:32 PM
    I've never been told to restore as new either.
    09-18-2014 05:11 PM