So far, I have been using one AppleID for

My iPhone5
    Wife's iPhone5c
    Family's iPad3
    Son's iPod
    Son's iPhone6 (soon!!)

We share the apps, iTunes_Match (I have purchased the extra storage for it), PhotoStream, .. everything. It is messy and getting out of control w iMessage and iCloud features. I want to clean it up.

Q1: How many devices can I use w just one AppleID? If I keep adding more devices, can I keep going with my current setup and share apps, media (purchased videos and iTunes_Match) with any number of devices? If there is a limit, how do I dis-associate an old device from my ID?

Q2. If I maintain my AppleID as the one with purchased content (apps, etc) and get separate AppleID for my wife and son, how should they set their devices up so that we still share the apps, videos, books etc but have our own identity for iMessage (and what else?).

Q3. What is the best combination of entering the my AppleID (with the purchased content) and the individual's AppleID on each device?

Q4. How will "Find my iPhone" work if devices have a mixture of ID's on them?

Q5. How will "PhotoSync" work if devices have a mixture of ID's on them?

Thanks all for reading. Hope for some pointers on this identity crisis

Aloke
    09-14-2014 02:55 PM
    Use the same iTunes Apple ID, but different iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime ID's. Each device should have their own. Only share the ITunes ID.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    09-14-2014 02:58 PM
    You should be able to use the Find My iPhone app to keep track of the other devices. They don't have to have the same iCloud ID. But you do need to know those ID's.

09-14-2014 03:02 PM
    Thanks.
    I still want to track my son's location using "find my iphone". Will that work if they use their own ID for iCloud?

How will their pictures get backed up to the PC using Photosync? Can the iCloud software running on my Windows PC sync pictures from different AppleID's?
    09-14-2014 03:02 PM
    Use your current ID for iTunes, iTunes Match and AppStore.
    Create a new AppleID for each family member. This will be used for iMessages, FaceTime, iCloud email if you want it, iCloud backups, etc.
    09-14-2014 03:04 PM
    So, to be able to track his phone, I'll need his AppleID and password?

What about Photosync? Can my PC sync pictures from multiple AppleID's?
    09-14-2014 03:04 PM
    Do all of you want to sync all your photos to each other? If so, why? I don't want all my wife's photos. She doesn't want all mine. We just iMessage photos to each other. The sync is for syncing photos from like your iPhone to your iPad. You guys need separate iCloud ID's. You will have many problems if you don't.

09-14-2014 03:08 PM
    Thanks.
    I still want to track my son's location using "find my iphone". Will that work if they use their own ID for iCloud?

How will their pictures get backed up to the PC using Photosync? Can the iCloud software running on my Windows PC sync pictures from different AppleID's?
    Each iCloud account will have a separate login for Find My Phone. However as long as you know your son's password, you can sign into the Find My Phone app using his credentials and track his phone.
    Also this will be improved with iOS 8 which is out in two days. You can set up Family Sharing. It had a bunch of features but one is to be able to see all phones under the Family Sharing using just your own iCloud Id. Family Sharing also allows sharing of apps and music (not sure about iTunes Match) even if each family member has a different iTunes account. It also automatically adds a shared calendar on all devices and a shared photo stream. So any pictures that you want to share with other family members can just be added to it. As far as how that works with downloading photos to Windows I don't know but Apple should be releasing a new version of the iCloud control panel shortly.
    09-14-2014 03:10 PM
    Thanks.

Yes, but if your son knows the passcode, he can just disable it. You will need to be the only one to know the passcode and lock it in Restrictions in his settings. Does your son want all his photos automatically backed up to the PC?

09-14-2014 03:12 PM
    Yes, but if your son knows the passcode, he can just disable it. You will need to be the only one to know the passcode and lock it in Restrictions in his settings. Does your son want all his photos automatically backed up to the PC?
    Good point!!
    09-14-2014 03:17 PM
    That is interesting. Eventually, how many devices am I allowed to have in my family, all sharing the same paid content?
    09-14-2014 03:18 PM
    Thanks, by the way. It is starting to sink in. The Family Share features look very useful.
    09-14-2014 03:20 PM
    Do all of you want to sync all your photos to each other? If so, why? I don't want all my wife's photos. She doesn't want all mine. We just iMessage photos to each other. The sync is for syncing photos from like your iPhone to your iPad. You guys need separate iCloud ID's. You will have many problems if you don't.
    This way, photos from all devices gets backed up to one location. Easier to backup. archive etc.
    09-14-2014 03:21 PM
    That is interesting. Eventually, how many devices am I allowed to have in my family, all sharing the same paid content?
    With the new system in iOS 8, the limit is 6. But I don't think there's a limit doing it like we do now. You can still add a 7th with one having the same iTunes Apple ID.

09-14-2014 03:23 PM
    This way, photos from all devices gets backed up to one location. Easier to backup. archive etc.
    Does that not run into privacy issues?

09-14-2014 03:24 PM
    Yes, but so far, everyone has been on their best behavior
    And I'm tracking my son because he is learning driving.
    09-14-2014 03:26 PM
    Thanks, by the way. It is starting to sink in. The Family Share features look very useful.
    They do seem useful. And everyone's purchases go they the same credit card (unless you have iTunes gift card on the account) and you can set it up to require approval for purchases from children. So the main Family Share member gets an email or message and they have to approve the purchase.
    I haven't been able to test it myself because while I ran the iOS 8 betas all of my family members are on iOS 7 until Wednesday.
    09-14-2014 03:29 PM
    I have one more Q: Currently, when my devices are using the same (my) AppleID for everything, are the iCloud backups storing different backup data sets for each device?
    They are all signed up to the same AppleID ... Are they distinguished from each other?
    09-15-2014 05:30 AM
    I have one more Q: Currently, when my devices are using the same (my) AppleID for everything, are the iCloud backups storing different backup data sets for each device?
    They are all signed up to the same AppleID ... Are they distinguished from each other?
    Yes. Each phone has a separate backup.
    09-15-2014 07:33 AM
    Use your current ID for iTunes, iTunes Match and AppStore.
    Create a new AppleID for each family member. This will be used for iMessages, FaceTime, iCloud email if you want it, iCloud backups, etc.
    Under this scenario (my AppleID for iTunes, iTunes Match and AppStore, different AppleID's for iMessages, FaceTime, iCloud email, iCloud backups), how should they set up the ITunes installs on their respective PC's that they sync to?

Should they "Authorize" their iTunes on their PC's with my AppleID? and sign in under their AppleID?
    Or how?
    09-16-2014 05:47 PM
    Under this scenario (my AppleID for iTunes, iTunes Match and AppStore, different AppleID's for iMessages, FaceTime, iCloud email, iCloud backups), how should they set up the ITunes installs on their respective PC's that they sync to?

Should they "Authorize" their iTunes on their PC's with my AppleID? and sign in under their AppleID?
    Or how?
    Probably with yours since that is what was used to make purchases. But I don't use iTunes to install anything myself since there is always the Purchased tab in the AppStore or iTunes on the device.
    09-16-2014 06:08 PM
    Hey, Im having issue since I changed my phone, imessage is not recognizing my phone number its so weird it was working on iPhone 5s but now on iphone 6 its stuck on waiting for activation for days and then it says failed its weird like hell!!
    10-22-2014 04:00 AM