Internet not functioning properly on iOS devices.

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'll get straight to the point. PCs, Android tablets, video game consoles all connect fine to my WiFi. No problems.

I have an iPhone 5 on Sprint and an iPad 3 on WiFi. They will both connect to the WiFi fine, and some things will work. For example, Mail, Facebook app, a few websites in Safari, no problem.

Any time I try to play an Internet based game (say, Simpsons Tapped Out or Words with Friends), I get an Internet connect error. Same goes for when trying to update any apps in App Store. I get the error message: cannot update xxxx at this time.

I have done the whole reset network settings thing and rebooted and reconfigured my router with no luck.

I figure it has to be an iOS issue since all of my PCs and whatnot are working fine.

Any ideas?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a hardware firewall installed that could be causing the blockage? This is a longshot, but worth a try. Go to Settings - Cellular and then make sure that the App Store, Safari and the Simpson's game (if listed) are enabled to use cellular data. Afterwards, try playing the Simpson's game and see if you're able to so w/out getting the connection error.

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Do you have a hardware firewall installed that could be causing the blockage? This is a longshot, but worth a try. Go to Settings - Cellular and then make sure that the App Store, Safari and the Simpson's game (if listed) are enabled to use cellular data. Afterwards, try playing the Simpson's game and see if you're able to so w/out getting the connection error.

Just tried it. Works on data. Still get connection errors with WiFi.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just tried it. Works on data. Still get connection errors with WiFi.

Is there a limit to the IP addresses you have authorized via your Wi-Fi router? Do you have MAC address filtering enabled that is omitting the device from having access? Can your device connect via another Wi-Fi network?

Last edited:

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Took the iPad and phone over to my parent's house.
Everything works fine. Games, apps, Safari, etc. all seem to work flawlessly on their WiFi.

I'm starting to think it is a problem with my router. However, this does not explain why only my iOS devices are not working properly. Why does the laptop, PC and game console work, but not iPad and iPhone?

I have a Belkin N150 Router. Anyone know how to go in and adjust firewall settings? Not sure what I need to do to troubleshoot.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
What is the router's security setting? I ask because you don't mention the name of the gaming console. I know the Wii U needs a different setting than what I have. Also can you try if possible to use an Ethernet cable to hook up the console and/or pc's. Can you try to have only the iPad/iPhone connect and see if they work. Also: are they up to date with firmware? I ask this because I want to exhaust all possibilities.

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Security on the router is wpaII.

The console is an Xbox 360. It is hooked up directly to router and not through wi-fi at this time, and it still works fine.

I went into my routers settings and changed the channel on it as instructed by Belkin, but it still has not solved the problem.

I am curious as to why my router is only affecting iOS devices. As I said previously, my iOS devices work fine on anyone else's Wi-Fi.

All devices are up to date on firmware, including the router (whose last update was in 2012).

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Security on the router is wpaII.

The console is an Xbox 360. It is hooked up directly to router and not through wi-fi at this time, and it still works fine.

I went into my routers settings and changed the channel on it as instructed by Belkin, but it still has not solved the problem.

I am curious as to why my router is only affecting iOS devices. As I said previously, my iOS devices work fine on anyone else's Wi-Fi.

All devices are up to date on firmware, including the router (whose last update was in 2012).

What is the protocol set on via the router? b/g/n, b/g, a/b/g/n, n-Only or what? Use b/g and see if the iOS devices connect to it.

pwrof3

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I think I'm going to end up buying a new router. Now my Xbox keeps kicking off.
It is really strange that my PCs are fine, but my iOS devices, and now Xbox, are affected.

Any recommendations on routers?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner