Refurbished 1st gen ipad?

I

iMore Question

The sister-in-law wants to know what the best tablet for $100 would be to get for her young son. She'll mostly use it to sit him down and burn time playing angry birds, mincraft, etc.

Since she has an iPhone, I am leaning towards suggesting refurb ipad, but I don't know a lot about the changes that have occurred over the life of the ipad lineup. Is there anything that a first gen ipad can no longer do? Specifically, are there any relevant OS features or capabilities that later revs of IOS has "moved on" from w/ regards to the first gen ipad?

Again, this will be primarily tasked with playing simple kid games, light browsing, etc.

Suntan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I know a newer tablet would be more advantageous, but you guys are twice the requested price range. Really not practical.

Thanks Karen, for the info on how gimped it would be. I did not realize that apps themselves wouldn't be compatible with the older devices. It sounds like she would be better off with an android option.

Again, thanks.

PeltFrelken

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Truth of the matter is, a hundred bucks is not gonna get you much. I wouldn't get a 1st gen iPad. It can't even run iOS7.
What about an iPod touch? They're really nice, and perfect for a kid to play games on. They have refirbs on the Apple Store for around a hundred bucks. $150 for the 5th gen models, which are excellent. Just get a nice grippy case so the kid doesn't drop it.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with the 1st gen iPad Mini. It is a smaller but slightly higher spec'd version of the iPad 2, runs iOS 7(I have and use one). You can also look at the child version tablets. They are Android but I don't know how current they will be and for how long.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro