My phone has colored vertical lines on half of the screen. How do I fix it?

I

iMore Question

My phone has colored vertical lines on half of the screen, and I don't know why or how to fix it. I've tried resetting it, and it did not work. My phone is cracked.. but it's been cracked for over a month and this has never happened before. I didn't drop it or anything. I just picked it up and saw the lines. I left it sitting for a while, thinking that they might go away.. but, nope! They're still there! Do you know why this is happening and is there a way that I could fix this?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Most likely it happen when you did drop it and it finally gave out. You will have to take it to apple or a third party distributer or fix it yourself.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There are decent repair shops that don't charge a lot. Make sure they are reputable. Which iPhone do you have?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My phone has colored vertical lines on half of the screen, and I don't know why or how to fix it. I've tried resetting it, and it did not work. My phone is cracked.. but it's been cracked for over a month and this has never happened before. I didn't drop it or anything. I just picked it up and saw the lines. I left it sitting for a while, thinking that they might go away.. but, nope! They're still there! Do you know why this is happening and is there a way that I could fix this?

Did you purchase AppleCare Plus when you bought the iPhone? If so, use it to get your device replaced/fixed. If not, and if you have not dropped it or anything, make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose the problem for you.

ioana2

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Any way to fix without losing data?

Can't enter my password to backup phone, and since it's in airplane mode, iCloud backup does not work. fingerprint reader does not do the trick.

All repair shops simply want to replace the screen, which will lose data.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Any way to fix without losing data?
If it's just a cable issue, then it's quite possible to retain your data, in my opinion.

Can't enter my password to backup phone, and since it's in airplane mode, iCloud backup does not work. fingerprint reader does not do the trick.
Why can't you enter your passcode and why would Touch ID be affected, especially if you can the contents of the screen?

All repair shops simply want to replace the screen, which will lose data.
Again, why would replacing the screen cause data loss?

seth williams2

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy s7 edge and lines have apread on the right side of the screen, can u help me? If u have the answer to my question text 8067035219

someonefrom_2004

Jul 4, 2018
Visit site
Hey I discovered what could get rid of the lines. If you have a heavy duty case get a lighter one that does not apply pressure on the phone or it’s corners. I know because once I took the phone out of the case and restarted it the lines were completely gone and have been like that for a while.