Airplay questions

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, I have a few questions:

1. When using an app that has native airplay built into it, if the stream is coming over the internet, does my phone get the stream from the internet and send it to the apple tv? Or does the phone just give the streaming info to the apple tv so that the apple tv does the streaming?
2. Similar to my first question, but for itunes match. If I use airplay to send music from my phone to the apple tv, where is it getting the music from?
3. I recall that I used to be able to use other apps, or turn off the screen(standby) when using airplay. But now for video apps, the airplay stream stops. I used to jailbreak, maybe this was a jailbreak trick?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
1. My assumption is the Apple TV is getting the info from the device for the beaming. Even though they are both required to be on the same Wifi network.

2. Pretty much the same as the first answer. It's such a small file that either way isn't really using too many resources.

3. It depends the app. Some video apps don't have backgrounding enabled for airplay and some do. Just a matter of the developer updating the app to make it work. I use VideoPane when an app doesn't even airplay at all and it runs in the background. It doesn't work for every single app, however. Luck of the draw.

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
2. See above answer. But you can sign into iTunes Match directly on the Apple TV without going thru the phone and then just use the remote or the Remote app for navigation.

Isn't it even possible to go to the Apple TV
Preferences and say that it should get the music directly from iTunes if the song (sent from iPhone) is recognized as part of iTunes Match?

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Not quite sure I understand the question but afaik when you sign in to iTunes Match on the Apple TV it streams all the music from the cloud, none is stored on the Apple TV.

Sure. My scenario is meant to bypass the iOS device if the audio is STARTED by that device and not on the ATV. It pulls the song directly from the internet.