How does an offline iPad user save and store documents?

kelton

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
With the intro of a solid Microsoft Office app for the iPad, I'm looking to make the switch to Apple's pad.
(my work is friendlier to iPads, too)

However, I'm not clear on where documents get filed....and I will need to be able to use them and edit them even when I am offline.

I have read that documents are saved in a "cache"..... but someone, that doesn't sound very permanent. To me, a cache is something that gets routinely dumped.

So, what's the deal? How does an offline iPad user save and store documents? Are there actual files and folders for such things on an iPad?

I googled for an answer, but didn't get to the answer.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Files / Folders on an Ipad?

You sync them to a cloud - and they live there, and access them from whatever device you're on... and everything saves to the cloud, the last version is always there for you to use on any device.

kelton

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Files / Folders on an Ipad?

So, they don't remain on your iPad if you don't have a cloud sync? (that's my question)

For example, on my Macbook, I save something to my drop box folder.... and, yes, it goes to the cloud.... but it also remains firmly on my hard drive.

When I get to a signal, it all syncs and updates the files everywhere. (not that you don't this already)

I just want a "hard copy" saved to my iPad and be able to find it in an organized fashion

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Goodreader, Phone Drive, File Storage, iFile Browser & Download Manager are just a few of the apps found in the App Store that will allow you to store and manage your files locally on your iPad.

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, I just tried using it (don't have Office subscription, so i can't use it and check for myself), but from what I gathered, it is possible.

For one, by default there's two storage options. OneDrive (which I don't use so I don't know whether they allow offline storage) and iPad, which I assume means local storage. It presumably writes to /var/mobile/Applications/(app name)/Documents. Since it also allows you to add other storage services, like Dropbox, Google Drive, and soon to come iCloud Drive, and many offer offline storage options, you're good there too.

So yes, you can store documents offline. And with a file manager app (or a jailbreak) you can manipulate and move the files too.