Do the apps need to be turned off?
    08-04-2014 04:25 PM
    Hi and welcome to iMore.

If you mean closed, no they don't.

You can always double-tap your home button and close them manually yourself but there is no real need to do so. They don't eat up much space or battery whilst in the background.
    08-04-2014 04:28 PM
    No BUT some apps you need to close them manually to update them
    08-04-2014 06:35 PM
    It's not necessary
    08-05-2014 12:15 AM
    I've recently stopped closing all my apps. Haven't noticed a difference. I don't think closing them impacts the battery at all.
    08-05-2014 12:20 AM
    This has been debated here on iMore and it's pretty much split if you choose to it's fine but not necessary
    08-06-2014 03:37 PM
    Those apps in your multitasking menu are not running in the background at all: iOS freezes them where you last left the app so that it's ready to go if you go back. Unless you have enabled Background App Refresh, your apps are not allowed to run in the background unless they are playing music, using location services, recording audio, or the sneakiest of them all: checking for incoming VOIP calls , like Skype. All of these exceptions, besides the latter, will put an icon next to your battery icon to alert you it is running in the background.
    08-06-2014 03:42 PM
    Those apps in your multitasking menu are not running in the background at all: iOS freezes them where you last left the app so that it's ready to go if you go back. Unless you have enabled Background App Refresh, your apps are not allowed to run in the background unless they are playing music, using location services, recording audio, or the sneakiest of them all: checking for incoming VOIP calls , like Skype. All of these exceptions, besides the latter, will put an icon next to your battery icon to alert you it is running in the background.
    Don't think there's a music playing icon anymore in iOS 7...
    08-06-2014 03:43 PM
    Don't think there's a music playing icon anymore in iOS 7...
    that is correct! Scratch that line lol
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    08-06-2014 03:46 PM
    I will say this: I shoot a lot of high-quality video on my iPhone 5s. I often use it as a 2nd or 3rd camera on video shoots. I try to keep it "clean" as far as available space-- there's usually a minimum of 6-7 Gigs free at any given time. And while I have Background App Refresh on, there are only 3 or 4 apps that are enabled for that. In addition, I shoot with airplane mode enabled so Refresh shouldn't have any effect.
    I use FiLMiC Pro for these shoots. But the app will often stutter and drop frames UNLESS I close out all apps "running" in the background. Then, I've never had a single problem.
    I know this is a hotly debated subject and I'm not pretending to have the answer but I know what my experience is and it appears that significant resources are being employed when these apps are "running" in the background. It probably doesn't affect most users. Just my 2 cents...
    08-06-2014 04:08 PM
    I only close Navigation-type apps.
    qbnkelt likes this.
    08-07-2014 08:52 AM
    As the lieutenant said....
    08-07-2014 10:50 AM