Yesterday I finally decided to bite the bullet and update my iPhone 4 (which was already struggling with its existing software). When I woke up this morning it said that the update had failed and that the phone needed to be restored. When I tried to do this through my computer (Mac Book Air) it failed, resetting the phone to factory settings, and said I should take the phone to an Apple store. Not wanting to waste my time, I decided to attempt a restore using the phone itself. THis worked, sort of, and I got my contacts, messages, and music all back. My apps, however, were all gone. When I plugged my phone into the computer to reload the apps, there are none. It seems that all memory of my apps is stuck in my (not working) PC. Is there any way I can get the apps back?
    07-26-2014 11:17 AM
    Hello! I have a few things to say/ask:

-Did you back up your phone to iTunes or iCloud (which once set is done regularly and automatically every time you connect your iphone to power outlet).
    -When plugging your iphone to iTunes doesn't it shows you back ups that you can restore from? that is because when you restore from itunes it "usually" backs up automatically before restoring.
    - Now lastly if nothing works, you can just go to App Store in your phone --> updates --> purchased ...all your previously acquired apps will be there available to re-download.

Let us know if something works.
    07-26-2014 11:46 AM
    Yesterday I finally decided to bite the bullet and update my iPhone 4 (which was already struggling with its existing software). When I woke up this morning it said that the update had failed and that the phone needed to be restored. When I tried to do this through my computer (Mac Book Air) it failed, resetting the phone to factory settings, and said I should take the phone to an Apple store. Not wanting to waste my time, I decided to attempt a restore using the phone itself. THis worked, sort of, and I got my contacts, messages, and music all back. My apps, however, were all gone. When I plugged my phone into the computer to reload the apps, there are none. It seems that all memory of my apps is stuck in my (not working) PC. Is there any way I can get the apps back?
    Welcome to iMore! Do you see your purchased list in the App Store? Open the App Store app and tap "Updates" in the bottom right. Then tap "Purchases" at the top. That should take you to your purchased list. Are your apps there? If so, do they show "Open" or a Cloud?

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    07-26-2014 11:59 AM