Can I use an iPhone for iPod & Wi-Fi purposes without a cellular data plan?

questionableuser

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I will soon be getting an iphone 4s, the person I'm getting it from doesn't want it anymore because they upgraded. The problem is, I don't want to get or use a plan on the iPhone. When you set the iPhone up, I noticed in videos it automatically connects to a phone carrier. Are they automatically getting ready to charge you? If I set up the phone (so to speak) and it showed AT&T but I turned off the data when I was done setting it up, will I still get charged and have to get a plan? I just want to use it as a "iTouch" so to speak, use it without a plan and without being charged. I just want to use it with Wi-Fi is that possible? Any help?

Thanks.:confused:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re: Can I use an iPhone for iPod & Wi-Fi purposes without a cellular data plan?

When you set up the iTunes, it will contact Apple's servers for activation purposes. You can continue to use the device as an iPod and Wi-Fi only device. You will not be charged by a carrier. Besides, how would they know to charge "you"?

questionableuser

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Last time to be certain, after I sign in with my Apple I.D & activate the phone, as long as I turn off data asap I will be fine? One last thing, does it matter if when I activate the phone there is a SIM card in it that was used with the phone before when the person I'm getting it from had a data plan?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I got a new iPhone 5, my old iPhone 4 still worked on wifi for email, Safari and everything except Verizon services like calling and SMS messaging. My old iPhone 4 became an iPod Touch. I wish now I had kept it. I'll be hanging on to my 5 when I upgrade to the 6.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR