Where is the best place to purchase an Apple laptop? Bestbuy? Apple Store? University Bookstore? I have heard Bestbuy charges tax, but the Apple Store doesn't? Is that true? Also, where is the best warranty offered?
    07-21-2014 01:10 PM
    I recommend the Apple store. They are going to be much more capable of answering any questions you might have compared to Best Buy. You'll also be able to go through the local Apple Store on your standard warranty, which sure beats most manufacturers where you have to call and ship off your stuff to have them fix it. Tax depends on whatever your local laws are but do expect to pay tax if you purchase from a retail location.
    07-21-2014 01:14 PM
    Also since you mentioned a university bookstore, an Apple retail store and Apple online have educational discounts available if you qualify.
    Standard warranty doesn't change based on where you buy it. Extended warranties may if you choose the store's extended warranty over Apple's AppleCare extended warranty (which you can get even if you don't purchase the MBP from Apple).
    rdubmu likes this.
    07-21-2014 01:17 PM
    Where is the best place to purchase an Apple laptop? Bestbuy? Apple Store? University Bookstore? I have heard Bestbuy charges tax, but the Apple Store doesn't? Is that true? Also, where is the best warranty offered?
    Apple Store, you should still get your educational pricing if you qualify, Apple handles the first year warranty no matter where you buy it, do not buy a third party warranty, you can buy the Apple 3 year warranty directly from Apple anytime before your first year is up. Apple warranties mean you can take it to any Apple store and get service by people who know about your product. And the Apple store charges tax, online or not. Second option is if you can find a reputable out of state online retailer that is small enough that it doesn't have to charge local sales taxes. I know legally you may be responsible for these but, wink wink, nuf said.
    07-21-2014 02:26 PM
    I believe that Best Buy has better educational pricing
    07-21-2014 02:28 PM
    If it's a new laptop then it won't matter where you purchase it from, especially if you'll be getting AppleCare + or a similar protection plan. Also, Apple will troubleshoot the device no matter where you purchased it from, if necessary. If it is a used/pre-owned/like new type of device then I would opt for the Apple Store, but that's Just Me, D...
    rdubmu and nikkisharif like this.
    07-21-2014 02:34 PM