Why won't my iPhone sync or even show up via iTunes?

I

iMore Question

I bought a new iphone 4s for my daughter yesterday, but when I plug it into my computer I can't get it to sync with itunes. It won't even show up under itunes. Can someone assist?

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello there,

Here are a couple of recommendations:
- Make sure you have the latest iTunes update. If not, then install it.
- Is the 4s new? or did you buy it from someone else?
- Is the phone on? (because if it's off or the battery is drained you have to wait a little before it turns on again)
- Make sure the cable works (try with a different one or another computer).

Let us know if any of the above help.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I know. I deleted post. It didn't come through for a while so who knows, but I appreciate the help. Just aggravated. AT&T is no help at all and Apple says to bring it to store which is almost an hour away

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I know. I deleted post. It didn't come through for a while so who knows, but I appreciate the help. Just aggravated. AT&T is no help at all and Apple says to bring it to store which is almost an hour away

So it didn't work after updating iTunes and everything? there are still a couple of things you could do to avoid the trip back to the store, but truth is that if you did everything well and the device still is not detected, take it back because that shouldn't be happening with a brand new device.

Last thing: did you try with a different computer/different USB port? oh and btw you didn't mention if the device turns on perfectly.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Phone seems to work fine. AT&T won't take the phone back or exchange it. They say I have to go to apple which again is almost an hour away. I have owned it for only about 18 hours and have to drive an hour away.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
The computer sees the phone as it shows up under My Computer. Its also charging just fine. I don't have another computer with itunes, but when I plug in my iphone it shows up immediately on itunes

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Phone seems to work fine. AT&T won't take the phone back or exchange it. They say I have to go to apple which again is almost an hour away. I have owned it for only about 18 hours and have to drive an hour away.

1. What kind of computer do you have and what operating system is it running?
2. Do you have a different charging cable to use just in case the one you are currently using is defective, especially if iTunes isn't detecting the device.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The computer sees the phone as it shows up under My Computer. Its also charging just fine. I don't have another computer with itunes, but when I plug in my iphone it shows up immediately on itunes
It is possible that her charging port is defective somehow, but I can't say for certain. Try rebooting the device (simultaneously press and hold both the power button and home button until you see the Apple logo and then release both buttons.) Afterwards, see if iTunes will detect your daughter's iPhone.

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Still not working. I forgot to mention that everytime I plug it in the phone asks if I trust the computer, but when syncing a phone that usually doesn't come up. Its like the phone does see itunes and vice versa

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is useless to have you put your daughter's iPhone in recovery mode or DFU mode since iTunes cannot even detect it. Having said that, if all of the above suggestions do not remedy the problem, you're going to have to either make a genius bar appointment with the Apple Store that's an hour away or call them to see if they will quickly ship you another device. You can contact Apple via the following link:

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Still not working. I forgot to mention that everytime I plug it in the phone asks if I trust the computer, but when syncing a phone that usually doesn't come up. Its like the phone does see itunes and vice versa

Did you select "Trust this computer", and if so, did iTunes finally detect the device?

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I reinstalled the driver just in case and when I plugged the iphone in it said installing driver then it saw apple device, but no go on itunes seeing it still.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro