Is there any way too search my phone for hidden spy apps?

S

summertime

Is there any way too search my phone or find out if a hidden/spy app has been installed on my phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Secret apps

I'm sure there is, but without knowing specifically what to look for, I do not know how. Sorry.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There is no way to hide an app on your phone. It can be placed in a folder several pages down. Check each home screen and each folder thoroughly. That's all you can do.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
why is it not possible to hide spyware in a perfectly visible app ? I thought that was how it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If you are somehow side-loading apps from elsewhere other than the App Store then it is possible that they could maybe contain some spyware. If you are not jailbroken, then this should not be an issue.

As Karen said, Apple have very stringent rules and testing procedures to ensure that all apps that are available through the official App Store are not malicious in any way.

Can I ask why you are worried why you think you might have spyware installed?

If you have only ever installed apps from the Apple App Store then there is virtually zero chance you will have malicious spyware installed.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
True.

Unless you phone is jailbroken.

I was about to say that.

Edit: Although, technically, couldn't some make an app that says it does thing a, but also does thing b, and put it directly on the phone as a developer? Or am I missing how the development process works? As in I make an app that I tell someone is quicker to access their Nest settings. It does that quicker, but also sends their location to me when they open it. Couldn't I essentially sideload it as a developer, going around Apple's vetting process? Yes I'd need physical access, but that's doable I guess.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I was about to say that.

Edit: Although, technically, couldn't some make an app that says it does thing a, but also does thing b, and put it directly on the phone as a developer? Or am I missing how the development process works? As in I make an app that I tell someone is quicker to access their Nest settings. It does that quicker, but also sends their location to me when they open it. Couldn't I essentially sideload it as a developer, going around Apple's vetting process? Yes I'd need physical access, but that's doable I guess.

Yeah you're definitely right that there are ways and means round it but to be honest, going down that route is moving more into the area of black ops espionage rather than someone just worried their spouse might be spying on them (for instance).

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I was about to say that.

I've heard of some GBA emulators that do this. It uses a developer account and a provisioning profile to sideload it from the internet.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
All the talk about "sideloads" and "emulators" and whatnot has just confused the OP. The OP had a fear their phone had a spy app. To the OP I would say you have nothing to fear. There is no spy app on your phone.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Some software can be installed remotely so that the person watching you doesn’t even need physical access in order to bug your cell phone.

SlavaVerna

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I know an app for spying which hides its icon.
The app name is spytomobile but you can't find it in the app list of your phone because it has different name there.
Search for the apps you didn't install in your phone and delete them.

StayClassy101

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, if you're truly worried. You can just reset and erase your iPhone and start as new because if you do anything such as banking on your mobile device, I would think a reset is better to ensure your secure and not at risk of identity theft. At least, if that's what you're worried about. idk