I have 3 family members with iphones and we all share my common Apple ID. I'm really looking forward to the family sharing feature coming to IOS8. My question is should I go ahead and create Apple ID's for the other family members now or wait for IOS 8 to hit and then set up new Apple ID's then?
    07-12-2014 10:16 AM
    Have you read this article? It might help you decide.

http://forums.imore.com/imore-com-ne...explained.html
    07-12-2014 10:26 AM
    Have you read this article? It might help you decide.

http://forums.imore.com/imore-com-ne...explained.html
    I did read it. Was just unsure if I should create new ID's now or wait. Maybe it doesn't make any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    07-12-2014 11:18 AM
    In my opinion I like the separate apple ids it keeps everything the way it should be.

Once iOS 8 hits then you can share your purchases. Up to you when you do this.
    07-12-2014 12:41 PM
    So I did create new user ID's for the other 2 family members and so far I like it. One downfall I'm noticing is we all used to be able to add to an iCloud note we used as a grocery list. Whenever something came to mind any of us could add it to the list so we had one master grocery list. Possibly I could find a 3rd party app that would accomplish this.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    07-13-2014 02:48 PM
    You simply use the same iTunes Apple ID for apps, music and other purchases. But different ID's for iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime and Game Center. Or wait for iOS 8. There will be a limit of 6 accounts that can share iTunes on iOS 8. That would cover most families.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    MrMars likes this.
    07-13-2014 03:16 PM
    You simply use the same iTunes Apple ID for apps, music and other purchases. But different ID's for iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime and Game Center. Or wait for iOS 8. There will be a limit of 6 accounts that can share iTunes on iOS 8. That would cover most families.

Correct me if I'm wrong. A person has an "Apple ID" and an "iCloud ID" correct? In my case we have 3 family members so that would be 6 different ID's too manage is that correct? Being the one person myself to manage it all that gets a little overwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    07-13-2014 03:26 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong. A person has an "Apple ID" and an "iCloud ID" correct? In my case we have 3 family members so that would be 6 different ID's too manage is that correct? Being the one person myself to manage it all that gets a little overwhelming.

You all 3 can share the same iTunes Apple ID for purchasing from iTunes. Apps, music, movies, books and etc. Your purchased lists are the same. But iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime and Game Center should be different. So there's the 1 iTunes ID for all. You can use that for your other ID's. But the other 2 members need their own 1 ID for the other things. So it's just 3 ID's total for 3 people.
    You: iTunes, iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime and Game Center all the same ID.
    Member 2: Same iTunes ID as yours.
    Their own one ID for the rest.
    Member 3: Same iTunes ID as yours.
    Their own one ID for the rest.

07-13-2014 03:58 PM
    My wife and I share the same ITunes Apple ID. I also use that ID for everything else. But my wife uses a different email and password for her iCloud and other stuff. So we use 2 ID's . iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime are the same ID.

07-13-2014 04:02 PM
    So how would I configure each device with the same Apple ID but separate ICloud ID's? I just created separate apple ID's for the other 2 family members. Do I need to re-do what I've already done?

07-13-2014 04:44 PM
    Maybe I'll just wait for iOS 8 and hopefully that will simplify things.

qbnkelt likes this.
    07-13-2014 04:46 PM
    I realized you can't turn on notes in iCloud without creating an iCloud email address.

07-13-2014 04:50 PM
    I would just wait a bit for iOS 8 to share the paid apps and media. As for the grocery list you can share a reminder list and just make one for groceries.
    MrMars likes this.
    07-13-2014 05:25 PM
    I wonder how hard is it going to be to set this up .. I'm in same boat we all use my Apple ID for purchases but everything else everyone has a Apple ID for them self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-13-2014 07:15 PM
    So simple. Go to iTunes on each device and enter the same email and password ID. Then on your phone, use the same email and password for iCloud and all. On the other 2 phones. They get their own iCloud ID. That same ID will also be for everything else. IMessage, FaceTime, etc.

07-13-2014 08:10 PM
    You can wait for iOS 8. But they still will have to have different iMessage, FaceTime and iCloud ID's. The only difference is one way you all have separate iTunes ID's. Not good. The other way, you share iTunes ID. Everything else needs to be different. If you share iMessage ID, you will see each other's messages. If you share an iCloud ID, you share the same contacts and calendar events and have to share the free 5 gb of cloud storage.

07-13-2014 08:16 PM
    Once iOS 8 is out it will be very easy to link your family's accounts together to share media.
    07-13-2014 08:31 PM
    Once iOS 8 is out it will be very easy to link your family's accounts together to share media.
    That's true. I was trying to make it clear that they should have separate ID's now for iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime and Game Center. The iTunes sharing may already be set up if they already share an Apple ID. It's all the other stuff that needs to be separate now. If not, they will be sharing the same contacts and stuff. LOL Be a mess!

07-13-2014 09:22 PM
    Buy Me a Pie! is great.
    07-14-2014 10:29 AM
    You could do a couple different things to share a list.

One could be a shared calendar or photo stream that you give the other edit rights to.

Say create a calendar event with a title and have it recur? My fianc and I plan out most of our meals (on a diet) and just share a weekly picture of our dry erase board.

Or you could always create a throw away acct / household acct that everyone shares and choose to sync only the notes from it. I sync notes with my iCloud and gmail too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    07-16-2014 12:12 AM