Yup....another iCloud lock issue... *sigh* Refund? Opinions?

Skysthelimit91

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought an icloud locked Sprint iphone 4s from a seller on ebay. The seller clearly stated he does not accept returns or do refunds for the item listed. He also did include the fact that it was locked by icloud activation. He said it was only good for parts and if I was able to remove the activation lock, that would be a bonus since I'd have a fully functioning phone. At that point in time, I had no idea what the iCloud activation lock was. Never heard of it. But that was of little concern to me. I already own an AT&T iPhone 4s and the only reason I was purchasing this one is for the parts. I needed a new motherboard because I had damaged mine during a screen repair. I was simply going to swap the motherboard with mine.

Let me know if I'm making sense here or if I sound delusional. I feel I'm entitled to a refund because of the following.

1. Come to find out...the motherboard is not usable because of the activation lock. Even if I was able to swap it with mine, (which I'm not...see #2) the phone still wouldn't work despite the fact that I have my own apple id and sim information, etc. So the motherboard is useless. Had he listed that the phone was for parts, EXCLUDING the motherboard, I would not have purchased it.
2. Apparently Sprint iphone motherboards do not work on an iphone of any other carrier within the U.S. I feel this is certainly something that HAS TO BE stated in the description. So pretty much the parts for this phone are exclusive to phones with the Sprint network.
3. I've been reading that if a phone has an activation lock, it's highly probable it was stolen. And I see there have been many topics about this on this site and others. So it's happening to a lot of people unfortunately.

But tl;dr: I see my case is a bit different because the seller did state it was iCloud locked. However, I feel I'm entitled to a refund because he failed to indicate the implications that would have on the usefulness of the motherboard and failed to indicated a verizon iphone motherboard is not compatible with an AT&T iphone motherboard. He hasn't messaged me back yet. Hopefully I won't have to open a case. Your thoughts? Am I entitled to a refund? *Also of note, the item hasn't arrived yet. I initiated this return process before receiving/opening it.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Even though you should have done your research before buying the phone I think you should be entitled to a refund. Chances are that guy sold you a stolen iPhone so I would open a case if need be. But this is a tough one...you knowingly bought a phone with activation lock and the same time the seller didn't really lie in his listing so it could be possible that eBay/PayPal might not rule in your favor.

Honestly I would be quite surprised if you get a refund out of this, good luck!

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think you are entitled to a refund as the seller was honest about the iCloud lock situation. Anyone who agrees to buy these phones, you take that risk. I'm not trying to be harsh but that's my feelings on the situation.

Sent from the Pad using Tapatalk.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Sky

I buy and sell quite a bit on eBay and you don't have much of a case in this matter unless the seller misrepresented the item

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you're entitled to a refund, the description was clear. I believe you should've done a lot more research before you decided to buy the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless I misread your post, the seller did not lie or deceive you so you are not entitled to a refund, in my opinion.

Skysthelimit91

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I agree that the seller did not outright tell a lie, but I do feel he lied via omission. And I have no idea why eBay even allows the sale of these bricked devices. But based on your opinions, I feel I probably won't be returned the money. And that leaves me with no other recourse but to resell the item on eBay. I'll of course list all the information in the OP, making it impossible for someone to make the same mistake I did. Thanks for your help everyone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I agree that the seller did not outright tell a lie, but I do feel he lied via omission. And I have no idea why eBay even allows the sale of these bricked devices. But based on your opinions, I feel I probably won't be returned the money. And that leaves me with no other recourse but to resell the item on eBay. I'll of course list all the information in the OP, making it impossible for someone to make the same mistake I did. Thanks for your help everyone.

I understand, but in regard to eBay, how would it know if the device was locked? It's basically a facilitator. There is always a risk in buying used, and an even greater risk buying used from complete strangers. Anyway, I hope you can at least recoup your money via your upcoming sale of the device. Take care and enjoy your weekend...:)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Advice if you already took the device a part you might benefit in parting it out and selling it in that fashion you might make out in the end

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73