A friend of mine was robbed this morning. The police are no help and the only hope for finding the crook is the gps and the her IPAD. Apple won't check the gps signal because she didnt turn on the Ifind me or whatever. apple just says ask the police to track it, but the cops say they don't have the technology. is there anyway we can check it from home? I can't believe there's no way anybody can help us. We have the serial number, and the email connected to it. These buttholes even took the security system so we couldn't check the cameras and see who it was!!!
    07-03-2014 08:15 PM
    This is a sad situation but what you referrer to it is the find my iPad feature that tracks the location of your device if this was enabled you could have pinpointed it's location it's not full proof

Hopefully it will turn up but after a couple of days hope is mostly lost

Did the device have a password set on the lock screen to avoid data being compromised. Find my iPad would have allowed a wipe of the device from any other internet connected device

Sorry for your loss
    taz323 likes this.
    07-03-2014 08:50 PM
    As kataran stated above, without it being turn on. theres really no way to trace it.
    07-03-2014 09:23 PM
    Didn't realize i had to register to respond lol. Yes there's a lock on the screen and the setting you mentioned was apparently turned off. I know on android you can push an app to the device remotely. is there a way to do this with the ipad? we could push a gps locating app and use that. and i foundthat the icloud app can mark the ipad as lost and maybe even enable gps. any thoughts on that? thing is they also stole a tv and a bunch of other stuff so we really just need the gps to find them.
    07-03-2014 09:24 PM
    Welcome to iMore Cassandra

The find my Friend app also could pinpoint the location of the ipad but if it's a Wifi only device you can't even use a carrier cell tower location hopefully it turns up in a local Pawn shop at least the password was enabled

Good luck
    07-03-2014 09:39 PM
    Welcome to iMore Cassandra, hope it works out for your friend.
    07-03-2014 09:45 PM
    Welcome to the iMore community. We're sorry your friend is going through this.
    07-03-2014 10:12 PM
    Is the iPad a cellular model? If so, get with the wireless carrier to see if they can assist you in tracking its location. Other than that, your friend may have to accept the loss.
    07-03-2014 10:17 PM
    Didn't realize i had to register to respond lol. Yes there's a lock on the screen and the setting you mentioned was apparently turned off. I know on android you can push an app to the device remotely. is there a way to do this with the ipad? we could push a gps locating app and use that. and i foundthat the icloud app can mark the ipad as lost and maybe even enable gps. any thoughts on that? thing is they also stole a tv and a bunch of other stuff so we really just need the gps to find them.
    Depending on how the device is configured it may not be possible. For example, allowing the control screen in lock mode allows airplan mode to be turned on, which means the device can be powered up but not connected to the network, which means gps tracking is disabled.. Depending on what ios version, means the device might be subject to some hack that lets the perp bypass the lock screen.

Good luck!
    07-05-2014 12:50 PM