I have a group thread with friends--we'll call them Bob and Sue--that all use iMessage.

Everything seems to be fine on my end. The thread works: I send messages, I get replies, it all stays in one thread. But Bob and Sue complain that although they can send me messages and get each other's messages in the original thread, my replies always show up in a separate thread.

These messages always initiate from our phones and are sent to our phone numbers.

It's getting quite frustrating as Bob and Sue are reluctant to use the thread since they have to monitor two separate ones, which makes communication much more difficult. Any solutions!?
    06-28-2014 04:55 PM
    Hi there! I think iMessage doesn't quite work in the manner that you're trying to use it.

I think the KB below would help you with what you're trying to do better than using iMessage.

iCloud: Create a group and add contacts to it
    06-28-2014 06:39 PM
    I have a group thread with friends--we'll call them Bob and Sue--that all use iMessage.

Everything seems to be fine on my end. The thread works: I send messages, I get replies, it all stays in one thread. But Bob and Sue complain that although they can send me messages and get each other's messages in the original thread, my replies always show up in a separate thread.

These messages always initiate from our phones and are sent to our phone numbers.

It's getting quite frustrating as Bob and Sue are reluctant to use the thread since they have to monitor two separate ones, which makes communication much more difficult. Any solutions!?
    1. Make sure "Group Messaging" is enabled in the Messages settings.
    2. Make sure that "Send & Receive" is set to the phone number only. Their devices should be set likewise.
    06-28-2014 06:52 PM
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My group messaging is on and both my phone number and email are checked to send/receive (phone is set to "start new messages). I saw one of the people yesterday and their settings were the same.

I'm wondering why these settings (specifically send/receive) would be an issue. No other iMessage thread with 3+ users is having this issue with me or my friends. They also seem to have the same settings on that I do. Am I just missing something? And without being able to receive messages from my email (Apple ID), do I not cut off the ability to send/receive from my iPad and Mac?
    06-30-2014 01:08 AM