How do I set up my iPhone to have push email via Gmail?

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. Quick question.. how do I set an iPhone 5s Gmail account up with push? Issue I, my wife just moved from Bold 9900 a month ago and its kinda pissing her off and she's been moaning it's only when she goes into email that it pulls new messages. On my z10 I have the option for Manual, Sync frequency i.e. 15mins, 30mins etc and lastly Push. On the iPhone however, I've been in and saw it was set to fetch but.. all I see is that only I cloud has Push, manual and Fetch time options whereas Gmail has only Manual and Fetch with 15 mins being the minimum.

Is there any way around this as I'm sure I've seen people say push email is available. I don't want to download any extra apps.. Just the stock email app.

Any solutions? Thanks.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Push Email for Gmail on the iphone 5s

Hi there

As far as I am aware, you can't set a push for Gmail using the stock email app. I use the Gmail app and it works perfectly for me, sometimes even pushing the email to my phone seconds before it appears on my computer.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Thanks mate. Might have to download the app then. Kinda afraid the constant fetching every 15mins might affect the battery drain rate negatively.
Hi there

As far as I am aware, you can't set a push for Gmail using the stock email app. I use the Gmail app and it works perfectly for me, sometimes even pushing the email to my phone seconds before it appears on my computer.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Btw.. while I'm at it. Is there a way to attach contact info into another messaging app like BBM? I.e. Press the attach icon, select contacts and it takes you into the address book to select what you need. It only seems to allow leaving the app, going to address book, select the contact and copy then head back to BBM and paste in. BBM only allows you to select Bnm contacts. Is this a Bbm for iPhone problem then or just the way it is? I know I've heard something about ios8 now allowing inter app communication.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
No help in here? Ah well.

Dude, what’s with the attitude?

Google officially ended its Exchange support in January 2013, but they have grandfathered in existing users' hardware to continue allowing push email. That means most users will only discover the changes if they get a new iPhone, whether through upgrading, or simply receiving a replacement from Apple.

Gmail users who set up a new iOS device must "fetch" their mail, which iOS does automatically in timed intervals set by the user that can be as frequent as once per 15 minutes.

Google's change affects only those who use the native Mail application built in to iOS. Users who still wish to receive push notifications of new emails can use Google's official Gmail app, which is a free download on the App Store.

Google also offers the ability to add Exchange support to a Gmail account by upgrading to the company's paid Google Apps service. Google Apps for Business starts at $5 per user, per month, or $50 per user, per year, and increases a Gmail inbox size to 25 gigabytes, in addition to allowing push email support with third-party mail clients.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well i blooming well beg your pardon. What's up with your bad attitude??? The person who responded already explained that no push was available and I need the Gmail app.. which I already agreed to and have downloaded and set up. My "No help here? Ah well" ..which by the way was 3 hours after the question for assistance.. was in reference to my second question relating to attaching contact info without leaving an app such as BBM. Why are you being so defensive? If you can't help then please don't bother contributing. I already know everything you're on about and despite that some I can still get Push (using Gmail Imap) on my z10 and thought it would be the same.

Lord have mercy! Only trying to set up my wife's phone. If you feel becuse It's a BB user asking for help and it annoys you then move on. It's not by force. I'm sure there are many people who have moved from other phone brands that ask for help on something they could do previosly just like Iphone users who move to other phone brands would readily ask for advice on other sites serving other brands.

Wow.

Last edited:

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
On the BB10 devices, which BlackB_G mentioned has settings like Manual, Sync frequency i.e. 15mins, 30mins etc and lastly Push, I fail to understand how an email account will push with the help of a device.
Push is always from the server side, isn't it? Even if I setup my settings as push for a gmail id, which has no push support from gmail themselves, how will this ID setup as push on BB10 actually push emails? BB10 doesn't use BIS anymore to push mails to devices.
Any insights from BB10 users.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It uses Imap Idle. Picture of email account set up on z10 screen attached. I just set sync frequency to manual (so it never polls) and enable the Push option instead.

Sent from my Z10 using iMore Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1403695838627.jpg
    1403695838627.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,083

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
It uses Imap Idle.

Sent from my Z10 using iMore Forums mobile app

If you are okay with a workaround for default mail app, then here is what I do.

You need an icloud mail id account. Forward all gmails to icloud. Setup icloud mail on iphone and there, setup secondary server ( smtp) providing your gmail credentials. Switch off primary server which is icloud server. Now all your outgoing will use gmail account and show in the sent items too. And incoming will be push.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

You need an icloud mail id account. Forward all gmails to icloud. Setup icloud mail on iphone and there, setup secondary server ( smtp) providing your gmail credentials. Switch off primary server which is icloud server. Now all your outgoing will use gmail account and show in the sent items too. And incoming will be push.

Its already been sorted thanks. I downloaded the gmail app for her and disabled the built in client. That works instantly.

Thanks again.

Posted via iMore App

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Ok that's pretty brilliant.

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Would it possible to get an signature attached?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods