My son's 14 mon. old phone was taken to Apple for resolution of the blue screen problem and the summation was - "It was not your fault but we can't help you because you are out of warranty by two months. You should have purchased Apple Care". When I asked why they don't stand behind their products if it was their fault and there is plenty written about it on-line the response was - "It is like buying a car, once you are past warranty, oh well". What reputable company wants to chance having customers feel as though they were taken advantage of? Has anyone had a favorable resolution to a blue screen problem, with Apple, out of warranty? Are we supposed to just grin and bear it?
    06-21-2014 09:52 PM
    To answer your question. You should have bought AppleCare since the device is out of warranty. You will need to pay for the repair work.
    06-21-2014 10:07 PM
    I'm a little surprised at the quotes you referenced because replies like that aren't typical of Apple employees, however, the information you received is correct. A company will stand behind its product for as long as it is under warranty. Period. You have the option of having the retina display repaired as an out of pocket expense and you have the option of purchasing another iPhone or a different smartphone brand. In this instance, Apple hasn't done anything wrong, and with "any" mass produced product, some will ship with a defect of some sort that may not be immediately noticed. Again, that's what AppleCare+ and other similar insurance are for. In regard to your specific questions, no company wants their customers to feel as if they've been taken advantage of, and those same companies do not want their customers taking advantage of them either. As for grinning and bearing it, in this instance, yes, in my opinion.
    06-21-2014 10:15 PM
    The replies from the Apple employees are unlike any I've experienced. However, you should have purchased AppleCare. Once a product is out of warranty you're out of luck. Good luck.
    06-21-2014 10:42 PM
    The warranty period is not forever. It is for a limited time and is specifically disclosed at the time of purchase. As note, Apple does provide the option for those who wish to have the device covered for a longer period in the form of Apple Care Plus. You were not "taken advantage of". Life is about choices. You chose not to purchase the additional protection so now you are responsible for the consequences. That's how it works.
    06-22-2014 09:19 AM
    So a company should warranty their stuff, for free, for an infinite amount of time? That's not going to be profitable for any company. Costs will rise on consumers.

Just realize that they'll fix it for a fee. That's the good thing about Apple. They offer decent priced repair quotes. Good luck!

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.
    06-22-2014 02:45 PM
    I thought about this for a while,and yes most answers seem to say the same regarding the warranty, if its out its out. however you could look at your consumer laws. I know that in the UK goods have to last a reasonable period of time', modified by cost,quality, etc. and the courts have on occasion set aside warranties as being unfair. For instance a one year warranty on white goods in the uk is always in my experience upgraded to two years on asking, because EU law says two years should be the norm. (to forestall the obvious dim comment, of course iphones ain't white goods). after all a phone that can cost the best part of a grand bloody well should last more than a year !

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    06-22-2014 04:18 PM
    Yup just looked it up, EU warranties should be 2 years no matter what apple would like you to believe. Not EU? sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    lui22 likes this.
    06-22-2014 04:32 PM
    My son's 14 mon. old phone was taken to Apple for resolution of the blue screen problem and the summation was - "It was not your fault but we can't help you because you are out of warranty by two months. You should have purchased Apple Care". When I asked why they don't stand behind their products if it was their fault and there is plenty written about it on-line the response was - "It is like buying a car, once you are past warranty, oh well". What reputable company wants to chance having customers feel as though they were taken advantage of? Has anyone had a favorable resolution to a blue screen problem, with Apple, out of warranty? Are we supposed to just grin and bear it?
    What a sense of entitlement you have." Warranties & policies are for other people, and Apples's a bad company because I don't understand that" is essentially what you just said. Everybody has the same decision to make when they buy a new iPhone ... do you want to buy AppleCare to protect your product from problems just like this, or take your chances with just the manufactures Warranty? You made the wrong decision, and now you must live with the results of your decision plain & simple ...
    Just_Me_D and anon7833325 like this.
    06-23-2014 10:27 AM