How can I reset my wife's iPhone while it's password protected?

I

iMore Question

My wife has a had an Iphone 5s that she has been using for about a year now that we bought off ebay. She is now having issues with it and we want to reset it to the factory settings and wipe it clean, we found out there is a password on it. How can we wipe it clean and then use ITunes to restore her phone with the information she currently has on it?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: iphone 5s

Do not wipe it if you don't know the password. You'll lose the ability to use it at all! Can you find the previous owner and see if they remember the password?

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.

spideysence

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

We have tried that, and no one responds. we know what her icloud and iTunes info is, we just do not know what the password is for the phone reset password is.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

We have tried that, and no one responds. we know what her icloud and iTunes info is, we just do not know what the password is for the phone reset password is.

Honestly, without that password, you really can't do much. I'd really recommend not doing a full reset in this predicament.

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

What issues is the 5s having? Maybe the issues can be resolved and you won't need to restore.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

spideysence

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

it freezes, doesn't receive phone calls all the time, glitches, and randomly restarting. I was hoping starting from scratch might fix all these issues.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I’m curious as to how you’ve been using it all along if the issue is the iCloud activation ID/password combo.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a had an Iphone 5s that she has been using for about a year now that we bought off ebay. She is now having issues with it and we want to reset it to the factory settings and wipe it clean, we found out there is a password on it. How can we wipe it clean and then use ITunes to restore her phone with the information she currently has on it?

To answer your question...it can't be done without a password.

My question for you...how are you just now learning of a password on a phone that has been used for a year?

Also, the 5s hasn't been out a year yet. This doesn't make sense.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I have to say that the whole original post sounds somewhat fishy to me...

I find it hard to believe that someone could use an iPhone for almost a year and not know there is a password on it.

mrluky60

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
if you put in the wrong password ten times it will automaticaly reset the phone, [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It is quite unreal and strange that you could have an iPhone all this time, Something goes wrong, You want to reset it which you are I am sure referring to asking about resetting the entire phone to do a clean install it asks you if sure enter the password? Correct? No matter where you got it I am sure you have to have known about a password. If this is legit, Even though you bought it on ebay, You have the buyers name through ebay and most likely Paypal, Try for the heck of it to contact the seller and you might get lucky.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
if you put in the wrong password ten times it will automaticaly reset the phone, [redacted]

First of all, what?s with the name calling?

Secondly, wiping the phone for multiple incorrect password attempts is a configurable option in Settings. It is NOT automatic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711