Quality control question.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Don't laugh too hard.

Hear me out here.

Do you think it's highly possible that on less popular colors, manufacturers might put in parts that are slightly inferior?

According to quality control, the more popular models/colors need to have their best foot forward. They make the biggest impact on the impression of quality due to the sheer masses who purchase them.

For example:

My first space gray 5s had a dead pixel.
My white 5c has overheating, screen glitching, radio, and freezing issues.

Also like the weird phenomenon where people swear certain color car models drive differently too.

What are your thoughts on this? I've seen a lot of smaller repair places use higher end products on established clients. Is it possible that if they know it'll benefit them, can they choose who gets the prime parts?

Sent from the Beautiful Blue using Tapatalk Pro.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My own personal opinion is that it is no merit at all.
Below What Quality Control - From where?

"According to quality control, the more popular models/colors need to have their best foot forward. They make the biggest impact on the impression of quality due to the sheer masses who purchase them."

Then you are saying a solid 5S no matter the color is no good because yours had a dead pixel. I just don't buy into it.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My experience in manufacturing shows that the quality of individual parts are most often dedicated to the most higher valued products that a company sells

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My experience in manufacturing shows that the quality of individual parts are most often dedicated to the most higher valued products that a company sells
I agree when you are dealing with high end anything be it cars or tech, If the manufacturer has more of a reputation for putting out whatever they make and they last, Clients come back because of reputation, Not because John Smith has more money than Joe Smith so let's put higher end components in his when being built on an assembly line.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I agree when you are dealing with high end anything be it cars or tech, If the manufacturer has more of a reputation for putting out whatever they make and they last, Clients come back because of reputation, Not because John Smith has more money than Joe Smith so let's put higher end components in his when being built on an assembly line.

I just feel that they don't want to waste parts they paid money to manufacture. Especially a huge manufacturer with outlined forecasts and budgets. Even if they are slightly below average but still perform at 90%-99% compacity, they still can use the components.

Therefore they'll need to consciously and thoughtfully choose where these parts are installed. Why risk installing them into a popular highly regarded color where more of these defects will be highly visible amongst the masses? Instead into a slightly less popular color, the minor amount of complaints to be dealt with. Since it is sold less, it is almost blatantly less obvious when there are defects.

I'm just brainstorming...

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

15 years in manufacturing. When quality control is not first, your business becomes second rate.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
15 years in manufacturing. When quality control is not first, your business becomes second rate.

This I can agree with and wrap around, It was what I was saying, When you have a reputation of quality, The consumer will always return.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
There are always recalls and defects though. It's about if the majority of the products are defect free right? How can you know the actual percentage?

I'm totally not fighting, just wondering if there is a way they can use those slightly lower quality parts. They cost money to manufacture and I doubt the company wants to lose any profit right?

Sent from something using Tapatalk pro.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Recent history has shown that low quality parts are not just used but known to be sub par but pass thru the manufacturing process in a lower cost product

Chevrolet ignition issue comes to mind

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't laugh too hard.

Hear me out here.

Do you think it's highly possible that on less popular colors, manufacturers might put in parts that are slightly inferior?

According to quality control, the more popular models/colors need to have their best foot forward. They make the biggest impact on the impression of quality due to the sheer masses who purchase them.

For example:

My first space gray 5s had a dead pixel.
My white 5c has overheating, screen glitching, radio, and freezing issues.

Also like the weird phenomenon where people swear certain color car models drive differently too.

What are your thoughts on this? I've seen a lot of smaller repair places use higher end products on established clients. Is it possible that if they know it'll benefit them, can they choose who gets the prime parts?

Anything is possible, but I think what you're describing is unlikely. Less popular doesn't equate to less important, and what's less popular today can become hugely popular tomorrow.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Anything is possible, but I think what you're describing is unlikely. Less popular doesn't equate to less important, and what's less popular today can become hugely popular tomorrow.

That's very true. I guess I just kind of factored in the forecasting ability of Apple too. Just kind of wondered how my luck has lead to two defective iPhones in less than a year.

Sent from something using Tapatalk pro.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Recent history has shown that low quality parts are not just used but known to be sub par but pass thru the manufacturing process in a lower cost product

Chevrolet ignition issue comes to mind

Intel does the same thing on the manufacturing of their CPUs in a process known as binning.

Sometimes electronics that don't make the cut are used in a lower prices product in that the performance is lower.

This is different than saying apple uses subpar parts or has a lousy quality control procedure.

We've been building cars for a century and yet it's still possible to drive a new car off the lot with a defect.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Intel does the same thing on the manufacturing of their CPUs in a process known as binning.

Sometimes electronics that don't make the cut are used in a lower prices product in that the performance is lower.

This is different than saying apple uses subpar parts or has a lousy quality control procedure.

We've been building cars for a century and yet it's still likely to drive a new car off the lot with a defect.

There, fixed that for ya.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

We've been building cars for a century and yet it's still possible to drive a new car off the lot with a defect.

30 years on the Manufacturing floor I understand the quality procedures and how they have evolved my company as well as many others found that if you build your own parts you have better control of the finished product. I don't know how many of the components that go into the iPhone are build in house but I do believe Apple has better than average quality Control

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I do not have the knowledge nor the expertise to say what you're saying is bollocks but I disagree with you Rain. Apple would not come this far if they had such policy.

Not only are all eyes to everything Apple does, but they also have higher prices than their competitors. If this were true, then it would be the biggest scandal ever for Apple with disastrous outcome.

I just hope it's only in your head (nofi) and not even close to be true

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I do not have the knowledge not the expertise to say what you're saying is bollocks but I disagree with you Rain. Apple would not come this far if they had such policy.

Not only are all eyes to everything Apple does, but they also have higher prices than their competitors. If this were true, then it would be the biggest scandal ever for Apple with disastrous outcome.

I just hope it's only in your head (nofi) and not even close to be true

As I said, it was a fleeting thought. Not one to make a huge ordeal out of. It's a thought that crossed my mind. It was a few comments read off of manufacturing blogs.

And I hope it's not true too. It would be grossly unfair wouldn't it?

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal