Iphone 5C 32gb vs 5S 16gb

I

iMore Question

Need some advice please,

my old phone died so cannot wait until iphone 6 comes out and need to choose btw 5C 32gb and 5S 16gb. They are both the same price and I know that 5S has a better processor and presumably will last me longer, but I don't feel 16gb will be enough for me, especially with ios 6 being released in the fall. On the other hand, with the new ios, do you think the 5C will be able to handle it? I need this phone to last me a couple of years and really don't know which one I should choose.

Thank you!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
What storage did your old phone have? And was it enough or did you need more or did you feel like you could get by with less? Do you put a lot of music and other media on the device or do you use "the cloud" and streaming such as pandora and Spotify? How many apps do you really need? My feeling is go for the 5S as it's a better device with a better processor and some better features such as the thumb ID scanner. It also has a more premium construction. That being said the 5C is a fine device, and if you really need the storage then that is the way to go. But my choice would be the 5S!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
From what you stated, I would go with the 5C based on storage size & cost. While the processor is not as new as the 5S, it's still a beast of a phone. It'll definitely be able to handle iOS 8.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've had both the 5s and now two 5c's. I positively love the 5c. It's never hiccuped at all. It works flawlessly. I prefer the 5c myself as it feels wonderful in hand. The colors are enticing and unique. The 5c is my very first Apple iPhone. I've got a white and blue one. ^_^

They both have decent specs. Just ask yourself:

1) Do you care about a finger print scanner?

2) Does 64 bit processing power matter and will you take full advantage of it?

3) Do you like anondized aluminum or is plastic okay?

4) Do you care about how old technology is or care about the latest specs?

Good luck!

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
All great answers. Both devices are great and will run iOS 8 with no problem. It comes down to how much storage you'll need for apps, music, photos etc. Good luck.

Tanya Ti

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
my old phone was crappy android with 16gb, and I was constantly struggling with low storage even though I didn't have a lot of apps or media on that phone, mostly pictures and some videos. But I'm not sure with that phone if it was me or the stupid phone as after deleting almost everything it still complained about not sufficient storage even though showed free 7gb. And I don't use cloud services as my carrier doesn't offer very great speeds and I'm not sure how convenient it would be

Tanya Ti

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had both the 5s and now two 5c's. I positively love the 5c. It's never hiccuped at all. It works flawlessly. I prefer the 5c myself as it feels wonderful in hand. The colors are enticing and unique. The 5c is my very first Apple iPhone. I've got a white and blue one. ^_^

They both have decent specs. Just ask yourself:

1) Do you care about a finger print scanner?

2) Does 64 bit processing power matter and will you take full advantage of it?

3) Do you like anondized aluminum or is plastic okay?

4) Do you care about how old technology is or care about the latest specs?

Good luck!

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

could care less about the finger print scanner :), plastic is fine with me, too. Whereas the processing power is what I'm not sure about, right now it is definitely fine, but the last thing I want is my phone to be slow on ios 8.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
could care less about the finger print scanner :), plastic is fine with me, too. Whereas the processing power is what I'm not sure about, right now it is definitely fine, but the last thing I want is my phone to be slow on ios 8.

I can definitely say it'll run fine on iOS 8.

Sent from something using Tapatalk.

sc00bz

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Since you don't sound like the type to buy/sell/trade etc to get the newest thing, here are my two pennies.

The build quality of both is fine. The 5c will slow down sooner as updates come about.

If you plan to have it a year or 2 and don't care about the finger print scanner or aluminum, save the cash and go with the 5c. If you plan to have it longer, go ahead with the 5s.

I had a 5 which is basically the same as the 5c and now have a 5s. I've liked them both equally and had I not traded for my GSIII (mistake-- and I like android. :-/ ), I'd most likely still have my 5.

The only reason I ordered a 5s is when my GSIII jumped out of my doorless Jeep to a much deserved death on the bypass, I figured I'd order the newest model as I may sell it and buy a 6 if I like it but if not, I'm future proof for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2