I dropped my iPhone 5s 32GB in the toilet and put it in a bag of rice for 48 hours of however long it was. The phone will not turn on unless i plug it into the wall charger. It doesn't turn on if i plug it into the computer. However, it does stay on if i plug it into computer having previously started it with the wall charger. Either way, after about 5 minutes the screen goes blue with some black on it and then restarts. It stays in for 5 minutes and then restarts again. In the 5 minutes everything works on the phone fine. When it is charging though, the percent does not go up. However, when it restart the higher percent is shown indicating that it is actually charging. Does anyone have any ides on how to fix it. I have tried restoring to new and a backup. Thanks in advance.
    06-10-2014 03:57 PM
    It's probably fried. Good luck.
    06-10-2014 04:05 PM
    It's suggested to leave in rice for 72 hours. Putting it back in rice for another 24 hours may or may not help. I'd try that first though. If it doesn't work, then you need either repair or a new phone.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    Just_Me_D and Jaguarr40 like this.
    06-10-2014 04:09 PM
    Unfortunately, this issue isn't the water. The real villain here is the fact that power was applied to the device WHILE it was wet. If theres no electricity, the water wont do any harm - so long as its completely dry again before power is applied. Since you powered it up and subjected the possibly still wet internals to the voltage, its highly possible that you have fried something inside, and that no matter what you do now, it may not come back to the way it was.
    06-10-2014 04:53 PM
    It's suggested to leave in rice for 72 hours. Putting it back in rice for another 24 hours may or may not help. I'd try that first though. If it doesn't work, then you need either repair or a new phone.

Unfortunately, this issue isn't the water. The real villain here is the fact that power was applied to the device WHILE it was wet. If there’s no electricity, the water won’t do any harm - so long as it’s completely dry again before power is applied. Since you powered it up and subjected the possibly still wet internals to the voltage, it’s highly possible that you have fried something inside, and that no matter what you do now, it may not come back to the way it was.
    Both of these are very sound advice from members who have been around and like us have seen this too many times. Try the advice given and if nothing then we would advice looking at another phone. i am very sorry and I even learned something. I would have powered it to see how much damage I did. Thank you Hank.
    06-10-2014 05:40 PM
    Sorry to hear that, best of luck.
    06-10-2014 06:17 PM
    This may or may not do your device in for good, but...

If you want to try, throw in a bag of alcohol, then pull it out and leave it in the rice for 24-48 hours. The alcohol should displace any moisture left in the device and may bring it back to life!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    06-10-2014 08:53 PM
    This sucks but rice doesn't always do the trick.
    06-11-2014 01:39 PM
    I'm sorry, but what were you doing using your phone directly over the toilet? Or did it just fall out of your pants/hands when passing by?
    06-11-2014 05:23 PM
    My phone never goes to the bathroom, unless I'm not home and can't help it. Prevention beats rice any day.

06-11-2014 06:27 PM
    My phone never goes to the bathroom, unless I'm not home and can't help it. Prevention beats rice any day.

I'm the opposite. My phone always comes into the bathroom with me. But it always goes back into my purse before I stand up.
    06-11-2014 07:15 PM
    I *always* carry my phone with me, either in my purse or in my pocket. So it's with me when I go into the bathroom when I hit the shower. I've always kept it in my bathrobe pocket but I'm so nervous about moisture from the steam getting in that I've started to leave it in the kitchen when I go in.

Moisture is the enemy. As the poster above said, the problem is that it was turned on while it was wet and not in the rice for three days straight. Even then, I have no great faith that it would return.

That really sucks for the OP. So sorry.
    06-12-2014 09:50 AM
    I *always* carry my phone with me, either in my purse or in my pocket. So it's with me when I go into the bathroom when I hit the shower. I've always kept it in my bathrobe pocket but I'm so nervous about moisture from the steam getting in that I've started to leave it in the kitchen when I go in.

Moisture is the enemy. As the poster above said, the problem is that it was turned on while it was wet and not in the rice for three days straight. Even then, I have no great faith that it would return.

That really sucks for the OP. So sorry.

that's an interesting perspective. I always charge my phone when im in the shower...
    06-12-2014 10:57 AM
    that's an interesting perspective. I always charge my phone when im in the shower...
    I had the experience of frying an iPod about four years ago. I am very nervous about moisture now! You know how icky your fingers get when you try to use your phone in humid days? I can imagine that humidity can find its way into the ports.

Have to protect my baby...

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    06-12-2014 11:04 AM
    This sucks but rice doesn't always do the trick.
    I found this out the hard way. My phone was fried.

Hope you have better luck than I did.
    06-12-2014 01:09 PM