Hi all!

I'm seriously technologically illiterate and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to explain it to me. I am interested in buying an iphone 4 or 5. I checked the apple stores and if I buy for my carrier, which is Att, I only have to pay $99+ tx for a 16 GB, whereas if I buy unlocked, I have to pay more than $450. I absolutely need an unlocked phone, but can't afford to pay this $ 450, also don't want to pay Att extra every month just because I am using an iphone. So what my question is that, if I buy the $99 one and choose my carrier as Att, can I get it unlocked by someone and as a result not pay Att extra? I mean I don't want Att to know that I am using a phone which I bought choosing them as my data provider so that I won't have to pay extra and unlocked it later, so that I can keep using Att but don't have to pay them extra? Because isn't that kind of illegal?

I sound confusing and sorry for that. But any help will be appreciated
    06-08-2014 02:32 PM
    Yes, you can find an unlock service to unlock the device, however, those services work in conjunction with the carriers. In regard to data services, you will not be able to get service with AT&T, or any of the other major carriers (at least here in the U.S.) without an associated smartphone data package.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 06-08-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    AlvinaSC likes this.
    06-08-2014 03:32 PM
    If you're planning on buying the phone and using it on AT&T's network regardless of the fact whether or not you buy it unlocked, you should just buy it for $99. When your contract is over, AT&T will unlock it for you.
    AlvinaSC likes this.
    06-08-2014 03:51 PM
    There is no unlocking yet for the upcoming ios 8, not sure if there is an unlock for ios 7 either. Like mentioned above, you are planning to use it with AT&T, so just buy and use it with AT&T and voila, unless you are planing to travel abroad for a year or 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    06-08-2014 04:07 PM
    There is no unlocking yet for the upcoming ios 8, not sure if there is an unlock for ios 7 either. Like mentioned above, you are planning to use it with AT&T, so just buy and use it with AT&T and voila, unless you are planing to travel abroad for a year or 2.

An unlock has nothing to do with the version of the OS.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    06-08-2014 04:13 PM
    Are you sure that the $99 phone doesn't come with the requirement of entering into a two year contract?

If you are going to use it with AT&T anyway, why does it "absolutely" need to be unlocked.

Note as indicated above that you will not be able to activate an iPhone on AT&T without also paying them for a data plan.
    06-08-2014 04:13 PM
    I think he wants an iPhone but the carrier he wants to use doesn't sell the iPhone but he doesn't want to pay $450 for an unlocked phone. I think he is wondering if he buys it on AT&T if he can unlock it and use it on a different carrier without having to get a plan on AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk
    06-08-2014 04:29 PM
    An unlock has nothing to do with the version of the OS.
    That is if carrier will unlock it. If you are wanting to unlock it by yourself like the OP wanting to do, you will need to JB first then install a tweak in cydia to unlock it. In this, the current ios version can not archive that.
    There might be other way to unlock carrier locked devices which I ignore, but that's it.
    Carrier can unlock their phones at anytime, you can not unlock carrier locked iPhone anytime unless ios version is jailbreakable, or some other factors allowing you to achieve that.

06-08-2014 04:30 PM
    I think he wants an iPhone but the carrier he wants to use doesn't sell the iPhone but he doesn't want to pay $450 for an unlocked phone. I think he is wondering if he buys it on AT&T if he can unlock it and use it on a different carrier without having to get a plan on AT&T.

This exactly simply not possible. He can do that by asking AT&T to unlock it for him, but AT&T will charge him as much as a factory unlock iPhone price. Another way to unlock it will be to modify the ios internal files to by pass the lock to AT&T restriction, which will require the device to be jailbreak. The latest ios is not jailbreakable yet.

06-08-2014 04:35 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I think I have been confusing everyone, so a little history: My dad pays for my phone bill and he is totally unwilling to let me contribute in paying the bill. Right now I have the basic Att family data plan I think and it's the most basic one, so all I have is calling and not even texting. And I don't want to get a better plan because I don't want my dad to pay extra on my behalf. Right now I am using an unlocked LG windows phone which I bought on amazon. I could get a better phone from Att but my understanding was that, if I use a smartphone and get it from Att my monthly bill will be a little more or that I have to enter a new data plan. I don't know if it's true, but I heard for example BB users have to pay an extra twenty dollars monthly just because they have a smartphone with Att. So my understanding was that, if I bought an unlocked phone, Att would have no way of knowing that I have one, and won't charge me extra for it.

Like right now although I have a smartphone, I don't have to pay Att anything extra for it and just pay them my monthly bill of 12.99 per phone. Do I have to pay them extra if I use a locked iphone or an unlocked iphone? What about if I buy it from amazon? Sorry for all these words
    06-08-2014 04:39 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I think I have been confusing everyone, so a little history: My dad pays for my phone bill and he is totally unwilling to let me contribute in paying the bill. Right now I have the basic Att family data plan I think and it's the most basic one, so all I have is calling and not even texting. And I don't want to get a better plan because I don't want my dad to pay extra on my behalf. Right now I am using an unlocked LG windows phone which I bought on amazon. I could get a better phone from Att but my understanding was that, if I use a smartphone and get it from Att my monthly bill will be a little more or that I have to enter a new data plan. I don't know if it's true, but I heard for example BB users have to pay an extra twenty dollars monthly just because they have a smartphone with Att. So my understanding was that, if I bought an unlocked phone, Att would have no way of knowing that I have one, and won't charge me extra for it.

Like right now although I have a smartphone, I don't have to pay Att anything extra for it and just pay them my monthly bill of 12.99 per phone. Do I have to pay them extra if I use a locked iphone or an unlocked iphone? What about if I buy it from amazon? Sorry for all these words
    Any iPhone on AT&T will require a data plan (as far as I know)

06-08-2014 04:41 PM
    I want to keep using my Att basic data plan that I have and don't want to pay extra simply because I have a smartphone. So I could get an unlocked iphone from amazon, but just to be safe with the product I thought it's a better idea to get it from the manufacturer (Apple). But the unlocked ones they have are pricey and I suppose the ones which are cheaper are contract based, which I can't enter. So my question I guess is: If I am using a locked or unlocked iphone 4 bought off of amazon, do I need to pay Att extra for using an iphone?

Sorry for the confusion
    06-08-2014 04:47 PM
    Thanks! Do you know if I am required to pay extra if I use an iphone with the same basic data plan that I have now for my current phone? I mean what if I only use the wifi and no bluetooth? Do I absolutely need to get a higher data plan to use an iphone, or can it work with my regular data plan that I have now?
    06-08-2014 04:55 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I think I have been confusing everyone, so a little history: My dad pays for my phone bill and he is totally unwilling to let me contribute in paying the bill.
    Okay.
    Right now I have the basic Att family data plan I think and it's the most basic one, so all I have is calling and not even texting.
    If you have family "data" plan then you should be able to do more than talk on it.
    And I don't want to get a better plan because I don't want my dad to pay extra on my behalf.
    Okay
    Right now I am using an unlocked LG windows phone which I bought on amazon. I could get a better phone from Att but my understanding was that, if I use a smartphone and get it from Att my monthly bill will be a little more or that I have to enter a new data plan.
    as I stated in my initial response, if you get a smartphone, the major carriers will require you to purchase a data plan.
    I don't know if it's true, but I heard for example BB users have to pay an extra twenty dollars monthly just because they have a smartphone with Att.
    Smartphone users are charged a smartphone fee.
    So my understanding was that, if I bought an unlocked phone, Att would have no way of knowing that I have one, and won't charge me extra for it.
    Carriers know what devices are on their networks.

Like right now although I have a smartphone, I don't have to pay Att anything extra for it and just pay them my monthly bill of 12.99 per phone.
    Are you or your dad paying the bill? If it is your dad, more than likely he is paying the smartphone fee as well as the shared data plan. Having said that, I don't have a Windows phone so I'm unaware of its restrictions settings that your dad could have placed on your device.
    Do I have to pay them extra if I use a locked iphone or an unlocked iphone?
    You will pay full price for an unlocked device or you will have to wait to meet the qualifications AT&T may have in place to get it unlocked.
    What about if I buy it from amazon? Sorry for all these words
    if you buy the device from Amazon unlocked, and insert your AT&T SIM card, they will know you have an iPhone and charge you accordingly if it is outside the parameters already set by your dad's current family plan.
    Ariel Babalao and AlvinaSC like this.
    06-08-2014 04:56 PM
    Thanks so very much! Everything is finally clear!! I guess for some reason Att hasn't detected my Lg smartphone which I have been using for the past two years. My dad pays for the phones and I am pretty sure he doesn't pay anything extra for a smartphone. Guess Att fortunately might have somehow me somehow!
    06-08-2014 05:06 PM
    This, American carriers practise, of charging a smartphone fee seems controversial. How are they concerned if one buys an unlocked phone and wants to use only a voice plan. Why should they force a data plan for suchsmartphone users? I can understand if one buys a subsidised phone and they want to recover the subsidy by forcing the user to take a data plan, but when someone buys a full priced phone from elsewhere and just wants ATT voice calling service, they shouldn't be made to pay a smartphone usage fee. This is detrimental to manufacturers. If people like OP want to use an iPhone, only for voice calling, but won't because of this smartphone fee, their sales are affected.
    Here in India, phone purchase and carrier plans are mutually exclusive. I can use any phone and choose any plan for it, whether it makes sense or works or not. I use an Iphone and I can very well subscribe to a BIS data plan, if I feel like doing it. ( The fact that it won't work is another story). I can use a feature phone without 3G and subscribe to a 3G data plan too.
    06-10-2014 06:10 AM
    Yep. Well, that's not how it works in the US.

They can "force a data plan" mainly because they can.
    06-10-2014 05:55 PM