I restored my iPad 4 to factory settings, using this guide:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

In the process, I clicked "yes" to have iTunes save "important data".

Everything appeared to go well, and now I have a nice clean iPad, but I can't find the apps I thought were saved... nor can I download them again.

If I go to the Amazon Apps store, I find the Kindle for iPad App, but it is marked "downloaded" and doesn't give me the opportunity to download it again.

The same is true of another app... 48 Hours... a "paid-for app". It is also marked "downloaded".

The instructions I was following stop without telling how to retrieve the saved data.

Can anyone help me get on the right track?
    06-06-2014 06:17 PM
    CJ did you do a backup before you restored it? if you did that is great, Plug it back in and when you see iTunes recognize it on the left side click on it and go to the summary tab. You will see set up from backup or new. Choose backup and depending on how much you had on it just let it go and it will install all your apps and everything else in the backup. You may need to add pics and such you had but anything included in the backup will be put back on so you should be ok....As long as you did a backup before the restore and also don't forget to turn back on your Find your iPad under settings when it is all done. Just be patient and let us know. Good luck.
    taz323 likes this.
    06-06-2014 06:43 PM
    Welcome to iMore CJ

As mentioned above we are interested in your progress so let us know how you make out
    taz323 likes this.
    06-06-2014 06:50 PM
    Thanks to both!

I can't find the "Summary Tab"! ... and I'm not the only one... a Google search shows many others who also can't find a Summary tab... and
    I read through the answers and non-answers without finding a solution for me.

Am I supposed to have the iPad connected to my PC via the USB cable?

I have iTunes Store on my iPad main screen... and when I go to Settings I have a selection iTunes App Store, but I can't find anything titled Summary.

To answer your question about backup...

I did not do a full backup, but when the software asked if I wanted to "back up the most important data"... or words to that affect, I answered "yes".

The reason I didn't do a full backup was that I had "apparently" made mistakes in my original setup of my iPad, so things weren't working right.

I couldn't add my own Kindle files, for example. (I write Kindle Tutorials, so I need to display them on my iPad to test them.)

So I thought the best thing was to just start over, then be more careful with the setup.

Can you direct me to a screen shot showing the Summary tab?

Thanks!
    06-06-2014 08:02 PM
    All you have to do since you have an iPad 4 as you will have a retina display you will have or should have a USB cable with 9 pin small connector that connects to the charge port at the bottom of the iPad and the USB to your computer. Open iTunes and when you see the iPad name on the left side highlight it. At the top of iTunes you will the first tab at the top called summary. That is where you would do what I explained. Since you have not done a proper backup and have now done a c
    Ean install it would have placed 7.1.1 on the iPad. Now the only thing you shoul do is set up as new and start everything all over again and I think you will be better off and. From now on do regular backups so this won't happen again. Remember to still turn on find my iPad when done setting up your pad.
    06-06-2014 09:33 PM
    OK, thanks!

I'm going to shut down for the night... don't want to mess up again.

I'll do as you explain in the AM... and report back my results.

Thanks again to both!

CJ
    kataran likes this.
    06-06-2014 10:14 PM
    I restored my iPad 4 to factory settings, using this guide:

In the process, I clicked "yes" to have iTunes save "important data".

Everything appeared to go well, and now I have a nice clean iPad, but I can't find the apps I thought were saved... nor can I download them again.

If I go to the Amazon Apps store, I find the Kindle for iPad App, but it is marked "downloaded" and doesn't give me the opportunity to download it again.

The same is true of another app... 48 Hours... a "paid-for app". It is also marked "downloaded".

The instructions I was following stop without telling how to retrieve the saved data.

Can anyone help me get on the right track?
    This was all easy to solve, once I went to the App Store on the iPad 4.

I previously went to the Amazon App store, where I had purchased and downloaded the Apps, and was not able to re-download them from there.

When I opened the App Store on my iPad 4, the Apps were all there, and can be downloaded.

Thanks to all!
    06-07-2014 08:59 PM